Left gradient
Students learning
announcements ANNOUNCEMENTS


Prerequisite Clearance

PURPOSE: When a course has a prerequisite, it means that a student must possess a certain body of knowledge to be successful in the course. The preexisting knowledge may be a skill, an ability, a placement preparation score, or successful completion of a course.

Students are responsible for meeting prerequisites as stated in the class schedule and college catalog. See a counselor for assistance in determining eligibility for a specific class. Students who do not meet stated prerequisites may be unable to register for or may be dropped from the class. Thus the purpose of prerequisites, co-requisites and advisories is to enhance a student's chances of success in a desired course. Students have the right to challenge college prerequisites.  They also have the responsibility to provide documentation to support their challenge. A prerequisite challenge requires written documentation and/or, in the case of establishing an equivalency, a written explanation of alternative coursework (background or abilities) which in the student's opinion adequately prepares the student for the course. All classes with prerequisites at Chabot College are blocked to students if they did not complete the prerequisite here. Completion of a prerequisite course requires a grade of C or better or a grade of CR (credit).

To remove the prerequisite block, you must submit a Prerequisite Override Form or Prerequisite Challenge Form and obtain the necessary signatures on the form. The difference between a Prerequisite Override Form vs. a Prerequisite Challenge Form is that overrides are signed off by counselors based on specified articulation whereas Prerequisite Challenge Form is used in cases where current articulation is not available for counselors to make a determination that the prerequisite has been met so documentation then needs to go to the specific department to make the determination if the prerequisite has been met or not. Counseling division will help the student determine which form is best to use and can explain procedures.

The college's registration process allows for prerequisite checking by computer. Students attempting to enroll in the computer-checked courses will be blocked from registration if they do not meet the specified prerequisites. Prerequisites are listed in the course descriptions within the schedule of classes and the college catalog.

Assessment results from other colleges may not be used to meet prerequisites, so new students must arrange to take Chabot's assessment testing prior to registration. Students who have completed prerequisite courses at another college or AP exam in high school must bring a copy of their transcripts from that institution to the Counseling Department, and complete an Override or Prerequisite Challenge Form (see counseling for details .  Please allow 48 hours for processing the Override Form. Students who are enrolled in the prerequisite course at Chabot College at the time of their registration will be permitted to enroll in the subsequent course. Students who do not pass the prerequisite course with at least a grade of C or do not complete the prerequisite course will be dropped prior to the start of classes.

Prerequisite Override Request

If you have already completed the prerequisite course, submit your request:


Email cc-counseling@chabotcollege.edu with Prerequisite Override written on the Subject Line and include:

  1. In the body of the email, please provide:
    • Your name
    • The last 4 digits of your Student ID Number (W Number)
    • Your phone number
    • The name and number of the course(s) you want to add that has prerequisites (Math 55 or Chemistry 1A, for example).
  2. If you have NOT submitted official transcripts to Admissions and Records, you must scan and attach unofficial transcripts with this request that document successful completion (grade of C or higher) of the prerequisites for each course you want to add. Please be sure that your name and the name of the college both appear on the transcript.

    If you have already submitted official transcripts to Admissions and Records documenting successful completion (grade of C or higher) of the prerequisite course(s), no further action is required for this request.


  1. If you have NOT submitted official transcripts to Admissions and Records documenting successful completion (grade of C or higher) of the prerequisite course(s), please bring the unofficial copies with you.
  2. Visit General Counseling during service hours and ask a Classified Professional at the Counseling Appointment Desk for a Prerequisite Override Form to fill out.

General Counseling is located on the 2nd floor of Building 700.


Prerequisite Courses in Progress

If you are currently taking the prerequisite course at another college or university (or at Chabot College in some cases when more than one prerequisite is required), you will need:

1. A letter from the instructor on college letterhead with the following information:

  1. The name and number of the course
  2. Your name
  3. The grade the instructor expects you to receive
  4. The instructors contact phone number

2. Submit your request by Email or In Person:

    Scan and attach the letter from the instructor to your email request and follow the same email instructions as for Prerequisite Override.

    Bring in your letter from the instructor and follow the same in-person instructions as for Prerequisite Override.



Reasons for challenging a prerequisite/co-requisite may include one or more of the following:

  1. A prerequisite is not made reasonably available to a student
  2. A student believes the prerequisite was established in violation of state regulation or in violation of the District approved prerequisite process;
  3. The student believes the prerequisite is discriminatory or being applied in a discriminatory manner.  (Discrimination is defined as prerequisite being arbitrarily enforced with some group(s) of students and not with others or having disproportionate impact on a particular group of students.);
  4. Student has documented knowledge and abilities equivalent to those specified in the prerequisite course.  Student documentation is required.
    The student must provide appropriate documentation when filing a challenge form. Documentation may include, but is not limited to, high school or college transcripts, additional test results, work experience, or writing sample. Prior enrollment in the course does not exempt a student from the current prerequisite of that course. You must meet the current prerequisite even if you were able to register for the course in previous semesters. Prerequisites do not have catalog rights.



PREREQUISITE - A prerequisite is a course (or equivalent skills or prior experience) that a student must complete with a grade of "C" or better (or possess) before enrolling in a more advanced course.  A prerequisite is a course needed before a student may register for a subsequent course.

CO-REQUISITE - A co-requisite is a course that must be taken prior to or at the same time the student is enrolling in the desired course.

ADVISORY (Strongly recommended) - An advisory is a course that a student is encouraged, (but not required) to take before enrolling in a more advanced course. The advisory course will, in all likelihood, enhance a student's learning in the advance course.

SATISFACTORY GRADE: means that for a course in question, the student's academic record (transcript) has been annotated with the symbol of "A", "B", "C", or "CR".



How are prerequisites/co-requisites established?
In accordance with Title 5 §55002, prerequisites/co-requisites can be established when the College's Curriculum Committee determines, based minimally on the content review of the course outline of record, that a student would be highly unlikely to receive a satisfactory grade without meeting the prerequisite/co-requisite.

Who needs to complete a pre-requisite/co-requisite?
In order to ensure the equity among students when enforcing prerequisites/co-requisites, Title 5 requires that when a prerequisite/co-requisite course has been appropriately established, all students who wish to enter a particular course must complete the established prerequisite/co-requisite.

How is a prerequisite/co-requisite met?
Students can meet a prerequisite/co-requisite by taking the specific prerequisite/co-requisite course (or an equivalent course at another college) and achieving a satisfactory grade. If the course has been taken at Chabot, the computerized registration system will automatically recognize the completion of the prerequisite/co-requisite and allow the student register for the appropriate course. If an equivalent course is taken at another college, then the student needs to bring in a copy of their transcript from the other college (with the equivalent course and satisfactory grade recorded) and meet with a counselor for assistance in completing the necessary prerequisite form (override or challenge)

Can a prerequisite/co-requisite be waived?
No. Once a prerequisite/co-requisite has been established through the Curriculum Committee, no faculty/staff member has the ability to waive a prerequisite/co-requisite.

What if I completed the coursework at another college to meet the prerequisite?
If you have coursework from another accredited college that is equivalent to the prerequisite/co-requisite course in question, you should bring a copy of your transcript from that other college (with the appropriate course and grade annotated) to the Chabot Counseling Center and request that a counselor assist you in completing the Prerequisite paperwork.

What are some good examples of appropriate documentation to support my challenge?
Examples of appropriate documentation could include: transcripts, course descriptions, work experience, documented skill development trainings or workshops, and/or test scores. Being a "good student," "knowing you can pass the class," and/or needing the class for graduation, athletic eligibility, or insurance purposes are not examples appropriate documentation.

Back to Counseling Home Page

Gradient right  
    Phone: (510) 723-6600 | Last updated on 10/24/2017