CalWorks Banner

CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) provides temporary financial assistance and employment-focused services to families with minor children who have income and assets below state limits for their family size. Chabot CalWORKs is a state funded program designed to assist individuals to obtain the education and training necessary to successfully compete in today’s job market and to achieve self-sufficiency academically, financially and employment-wise.


Chabot student must:

  • Be enrolled or in the process of enrolling in classes at Chabot College
  • Be a CalWORKs participant with their local County Welfare Department
  • Have completed or be in the process of completing a Welfare-to-Work Referral for Educational Training
  • Be a Cash Aid recipient from their local County Welfare Department

Services Provided

  • Academic Advising Services assists students with the development of a County-approved educational plan.
  • Career Advising Services helps students choose from a wide range of career choices.
  • Career Services assists students with resume writing, internet job search, interview techniques and job placement, both on and off campus.
  • Childcare Services assists students with childcare referrals and with childcare services.
  • Work-Study Program provides CalWORKs students with employment opportunities while attending Chabot College and pursuing their educational goals. Learn more about Work-Study and how to apply.

Online Services

How to Apply

Complete these steps in the exact order:

  1. Schedule an appointment with Counselor Assistant, Emily Chan, to complete an Intake Form.
  2. Schedule an appointment with a CalWORKs counselor.
    For this appointment, you must:

    • Bring the following 4 documents for verification. This is required by your Alameda County Employment Counselor.
      • Verification of Education or Training Program
      • Student Educational Plan (SEP)*
      • Child Care Needs Schedule
      • Homework/Study Time Statement
    • Provide a copy of all transcripts if you have previous college credits.

IMPORTANT:  County Employment Counselors will not approve your child care, transportation and books & supplies money until these two intake appointments are completed.


Elsa Saenz, MSW
CalWORKs Counselor & Coordinator     510-723-6754

Emily Chan
CalWORKs Professional Specialist     510-723-6985

Josue Hernandez
CalWORKs Student Employment Coordinator     510-723-6656

Michelle Irianrte
CalWORKs Counselor

Jessica Vile
CalWORKs Student Assistant     510-723-7694

Joshua Chang
CalWORKs Student Assistant     510-723-7688

Eliza Macasocol
CalWORKs Student Assistant     510-723-7694