Noncredit FAQ

In general, credit classes are designed for students who are interested in earning college credits towards an associate degree, certificate, or transfer to a four-year college or university.  Students who take credit classes receive a letter grade (A, B, C, D or F) at the end of the semester or term.

Noncredit classes are intended for students who want to gain general knowledge, learn a new skill, upgrade existing skills, enrich their understanding about a topic, or develop personal interests. Noncredit classes are tuition FREE and do not impact student GPA.   Noncredit classes are also a way to enhance learning in credit classes.  Upon completion of a noncredit class, students may receive a grade of Pass (P), No Pass (NP) or Satisfactory Progress (SP).  Some noncredit classes do assign standard letter grades (A, B, C, D, or F).

Noncredit classes are NOT applicable towards an associate degree, certificate of achievement or certificate of accomplishment.  Upon completion of a series of required noncredit classes, students may earn a noncredit certificate of completion or competency.
Anyone 18 years of age or older.  Students holding F1/F2 and B1/B2 Visas are not allowed to enroll in noncredit classes.  High school and Regional Occupation Program (ROP) students who may benefit from instruction and have permission from both their high school district or ROP, and their parent/guardian also may attend.  High school students who fit into this category must follow the Concurrent Enrollment procedures.
Noncredit classes assist students seeking to improve English or math proficiency, increase literacy and job skills, support access to higher education, and advance employability.
Yes. Noncredit coursework and certificates earned will be recorded on an official transcript. The noncredit transcript is on a separate page after the end of the credit transcript.
No, your Chabot College student identification number (W#) is the same for all Chabot College classes. 

Yes, students may register for noncredit classes online only after successfully submitting an admission application to Chabot College.  Once admitted, students may register for noncredit classes online through CLASS-Web, the student online portal.

Students will find noncredit classes listed by subject area in the Chabot College Searchable Class Schedule. Noncredit class and program descriptions may be found in the Chabot College Catalog.

Yes!  As long as a student is in good academic standing with Chabot College they may enroll in both noncredit and credit classes at the same time.
Grades are not required in noncredit classes.  However, instructors may decide to award grades (A, B, C, D, or F) or Pass (P), No Pass (NP), or Satisfactory Progress (SP) to students.  Certificates of competency do require that students who pass the program have a specific level of competency.  Review specific details of each class or program by reviewing the Chabot College Catalog.
Some noncredit classes do meet all 17 weeks of each semester.  However, other noncredit classes meet for a specific number of days or weeks.  Consult the Chabot College Class Schedule for specific details about class scheduling.
No.  Federal financial aid is not available for noncredit classes.  The California College Promise Grant (fee waiver) does not apply to noncredit classes because classes are tuition free.  Students are responsible for purchasing any required textbooks, supplies, tools, equipment, uniforms, and mandatory student fees.  Financial aid is not available to assist with these items and fees nor with any other associated expenses.
Each certificate program is different and requires a specific sequence of classes and/or level of competency.  This information may be found in the Chabot College Catalog.
There is no limitation as to how many noncredit classes a student may take.
Yes! Students may repeat a noncredit class without limitation.
Noncredit classes may have other noncredit classes as prerequisites depending on class content and curriculum design.  Some credit classes may have noncredit classes as prerequisites for enrollment.  Consult the individual class or program description for specific details about noncredit and credit class prerequisites by reviewing the Chabot College Catalog or Class Schedule.
The majority of noncredit classes do not require a placement or assessment test, and are chosen through guided self-placement.  However, some Noncredit English as a Second Language (ESL) classes may require an assessment test for proper placement.  Review each class description for details by reviewing the Chabot College Catalog or Class Schedule.
No, noncredit classes are not transferable. 
Some short-term vocational programs may be recognized by industry partners.  Consult the Chabot College Catalog for more information on specific noncredit certificates of completion.
It depends on the student’s availability and the availability of noncredit classes being offered.  Not all noncredit classes are offered each semester or term.
If a textbook is required, yes, students are responsible for purchasing the textbook for the noncredit class. However, many noncredit courses use zero-cost materials or have books available for student use. 
Yes, students are responsible for paying fees including, but not limited to, the student health fee and student representation fee.  Other fees may apply.
Students should contact