Academic Renewal, in accordance with the California Education Code Sections
55764 and 55765, is a process that permits the alleviation of substandard
(grades of “D” or “F”) academic coursework not reflective
of the student’s current scholastic ability. The grades alleviated by
this process will be disregarded in the computation of the student’s
grade point average. Only courses taken at the Chabot-Las Positas Community
College District will apply. Work completed at other institutions may be considered
for graduation eligibility only. A maximum of 24 units may
be renewed. Academic Renewal can only occur once and cannot be reversed. Academic Renewal at Chabot College and Las Positas College does not
guarantee that other colleges will accept this action. Acceptance of academic
renewal is at the discretion of the receiving institution. For students to
be eligible for academic renewal, they must be currently enrolled at Chabot
and/or Las Positas College, and a period of at least two (2) years must have
elapsed since completion of the coursework to be disregarded.
- Substandard work (grades of “D” or “F”) may be
removed under the following conditions:
- Student must be currently enrolled at Chabot College when submitting
- A period of at least two years has elapsed since the work to be removed
- The work to be removed does not include courses previously used to
establish eligibility for transfer, graduation or certificates of achievement.
- The student has completed, since the work to be removed was completed:
12 units taken consecutively at Chabot College and/or Las Positas College
with a GPA of 2.5 or better OR 20 units taken consecutively
at Chabot College and/or Las Positas College with at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Petitions for Academic Renewal should be submitted to the Office of Admissions
& Records in Building 700.
- If approved, the coursework under (1) above, will be annotated on the student’s
permanent academic record in such a manner that all work remains legible,
ensuring a complete academic history.