The first laptops were used primarily by business people who needed to access and enter data when they were away from the office. The use of laptops was limited due to expense, weight, and limited capabilities compared to less expensive desktops.
The most significant feature of a laptop is its compact size. The design of the laptop places the keyboard, screen, and internal components into a small, portable case. As a result, laptops can be used to take notes in school, present information in a business meeting, or access the Internet in a coffee shop. A rechargeable battery allows the laptop to function when it is disconnected from an external power source. The compact design, convenience, and evolving technology of laptops have made them popular.
Some common uses for laptops are:
- Taking notes in school
- Researching papers
- Presenting information in business meetings
- Accessing data away from home or the office
- Playing games while traveling
- Watching movies while traveling
- Accessing the Internet in a public place
- Sending and receiving email in a public place