Mobile devices use the same components found in SSDs to store data. To reduce the size requirements, there is no case surrounding the components. The circuit board, flash memory chips, and memory controller in SSDs are installed directly inside the mobile device. These are some of the advantages of using flash memory storage in mobile devices:
- Power efficiency - Flash memory requires very little power to store and retrieve data. This reduces the frequency with which mobile devices need to be recharged.
- Reliability - Flash memory can withstand high levels of shock and vibration without failing. Flash memory is also highly resistant to heat and cold.
- Lightweight - The weight of mobile devices is not significantly affected by the amount of memory installed.
- Compact - Because flash memory is compact, mobile devices can remain small regardless of the amount of memory installed.
- Performance - Flash memory does not have any moving parts, so there is no spin-up time for platters like a conventional hard drive. There is also no drive head to move, reducing the seek time to locate data.
- Noise - Flash memory makes no noise.