The iOS interface works in much the same way as the Android interface. Home screens are used to organize apps, and apps are launched with a touch. There are some very important differences:
- No navigation icons - A physical button is pressed instead of touching navigation icons.
- No widgets - Only apps and other content can be installed on iOS devices.
- No app shortcuts - Each app on a home screen is the actual app, not a shortcut.
Unlike Android, iOS devices do not use navigation icons to perform functions. A single button called the Home button performs many of the same functions as the Android navigation buttons. The Home button is at the bottom of the device, with the image of a square on it, as shown in Figure 1. The Home button performs the following functions:
- Wake the device - When the device’s screen is off, press the Home button once to turn it on.
- Return to the home screen - Press the Home button while using an app to bring up the last home screen that was used.
- Return to the main home screen - Press the Home button while on any other home screen or the search screen to go to the main home screen.
- Open the multitasking bar - Double-press the Home button to open the multitasking bar. The multitasking bar shows the most recent apps that have been used.
- Start Siri or voice control - Hold down the Home button to start Siri or voice control. Siri is special software that understands advanced voice controls. On devices without Siri, basic voice controls can be used.
- Open audio controls - Double-press the Home button when the screen is locked to open the audio controls.
- Open the search screen - Press the Home button while on the main home screen to go to the search screen.
iOS devices have a notification center that displays all of the alerts from apps in one location, as shown in Figure 2. To open the notification area on iOS devices, touch and hold the top of the screen and swipe a finger down the screen. The following actions can be taken when notifications are open:
- Respond to an alert by touching it.
- Remove an alert by touching the X icon and touching clear.
To change the options for notifications, use the following path:
Settings > Notifications
Swipe the main home screen from left to right or double-click the Home button to open the search feature called Spotlight, shown in Figure 3. Enter the search item. All results are listed in accordance with the app that contains the results. To search the Internet instead, touch Search web at the bottom of the list after the search results appear.