1.   “Why do we have Mental Health, or Psychological Counseling on campus?”


Your life, with all of the rewards and challenges, is not put on hold while you are attending classes at Chabot.  Sometimes “stuff happens”!  A life challenge can negatively impact your ability to progress and excel in your classes.  There is ongoing research that supports the need and benefit of have mental health services, and staff, available on the college campus.  Your student health fees assist in funding these services.


2.   “How do I qualify for services and what is the cost?”


If you are attending classes this semester, you are eligible for “FREE” services. If it is before the semester begins or after it ends, or if you withdraw from your classes, you are not eligible for services. Refer to the Mental Health Services On-Campus Link for more information.


3.   “What’s the difference between Mental Health Counseling and “Personal Counseling” provided by my Academic Counselor who also helps me with my academic questions and Student Education Plan?”


All of the Counselors in the General Counseling Division are counseling professionals with graduate and post-graduate degrees and/or licenses.  While they are qualified to provide “personal counseling” their main focus is academic advisement.


The Mental Health Counselor/Intern also has the graduate degree in Counselor (specifically in Psychology) along with mental health clinical training in assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning, for example.  While you may discuss academic issues or barriers with your Mental Health Counselor/Intern, your focus will be on overcoming the emotional (or psychological) issue and NOT on your academic progress or plan.  Therefore, you may continue your relationship with your Academic Counselor and receive the benefit of both types of services!


4.      “Why can’t I continue meeting with my Academic Counselor for “Personal Counseling?”


You can!  And, it is common for an Academic Counselor, or instructor, to refer a student for Mental Health Counseling.  The staff and faculty work as a team.  For example, after a conversation with a student a  Counselor, or Instructor,  may feel a student might benefit from the psychological counseling services and support.


5.   “How do I qualify for services?”


If you are attending classes this semester, you are eligible for services. If it is before the semester begins or after it ends, or if you withdraw from your classes, you are not eligible for services.


6.      “I have my family and good friends who “really” know me, why should I meet with a stranger?”


The good news is you have a choice.  Usually a student is ready to try a different coping strategy when the usual methods are no longer working.  Therefore, while you will continue to have your family and friends for support, it may be time to seek professional assistance.  Discussing personal situations with friends, family, and others can be helpful, but sometimes these people care so much about your well-being that they become over-involved and lose their objectivity.  As a professional, your Mental Health Counselor will explore your problems and goals, provide clinical and objective assessment, and advise you accordingly.   Refer to “What to expect” for more information about the basic process.


7.      “Who are the students who come for Mental Health Counseling (Psychological Counseling)?”


Students utilizing our services reflect the diversity of Chabot. Thus, we see a broad spectrum of men and women of all ages, races and ethnic groups at every level of academic standing


8.      “Aren’t most people who seek Mental Health Counseling  (psychological counseling) ‘sick’ or crazy’?


Certainly not!  In fact, most students who come to the office desire personal growth and are responding to changes in their lives. Actually, those are pretty outdated, negative terms, and old-fashioned beliefs.  Seeking professional assistance is a sign of personal strength.  Generally, students are usually troubled, and sometimes confused and/or the coping strategy they may have been using doesn’t work anymore and they need assistance. 


9.   “What kinds of problems do students come in with?”


  For example, students may be experiencing problems in managing:

      FEELINGS…such as depression, fear, anxiety, loneliness, low self-esteem, hopelessness,  resentment, sadness, victimization,  vulnerability, or confusion.

      RELATIONSHIPS…with parents, spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, friends, teachers or classmates.

      BEHAVIORS… like eating habits, physical/emotional abuse, fits of anger, or substance abuse,  dependence and co-dependence 

      ACADEMIC …situations like test anxiety, procrastination, time management, or career confusion.

      LOSS… such as unfortunate deaths of family member or friends, loss of job, breakups, etc.

      CHANGE… can be difficult, such as new to Chabot, new state, city, or country; health issues BEHAVIORS like eating habits, or substance abuse.

      ACADEMIC situations like test anxiety, procrastination, time management, or career confusion.

Sometimes issues are more severe, and complicated, and our staff  is  prepared to assist those students as well.


10.  “What about services for my significant other or family member?”


Only students who are attending classes at Chabot College are eligible for services. Referrals to appropriate community resources will be offered.