Left gradient
Students learning
announcements ANNOUNCEMENTS


Enrollment Policies

Student Responsibilities

It is the responsibility of each student to notify the Chabot College Veterans Office of Changes in unit status, courses, grades, academic objective, and number of dependents to be claimed, and address. In order to receive benefits on time or avoid the possibility of an overpayment, notify the office promptly of any adjustments. If you are a continuing student, it is necessary to request certification of enrollment each semester through the Veterans Office at the time of registration.

Students are also required to maintain satisfactory academic progress as outlined in the Chabot College Catalog and the Veterans Office Academic Standards of Progress information sheet.

Transcripts - Evaluation of Prior Credit

Students are responsible for requesting official academic transcripts from all schools attended before, during or after military service - whether or not benefits were received. Transcripts must be forwarded to the Admissions Office at Chabot College. All official transcripts from colleges attended must be received at the Admissions and Records Office before an enrollment certification can be made.

Declaring an Academic Objective

VA requires that a student declare an academic objective (i.e., AA Degree - Nursing or BA Degree-Liberal Studies).

If a transfer objective is being pursued, VA will authorize benefits for only those courses required for the major.

If a student is pursuing an AA/AS Degree or Certificate, VA will authorize benefits only for courses required for the specific major after one semester.

For information on declaring an academic objective and/or changing your major contact the Veterans Office, by phone at (510)723-6910.

Withdrawing from Classes

The law requires that students using VA education benefits notify the Chabot College Veterans Office of any withdrawals from courses. The VA will adjust or terminate benefits retroactive to the beginning date of the term. If the change of enrollment is due to reasons beyond the student's control, which VA accepts as mitigating circumstances, benefits are adjusted on the effective date of the reduction. Form 21-4138, Statement of Support of Claim, must be filed for consideration.

Mitigating Circumstances

Mitigating circumstances are those which directly hinder a student’s pursuit of a course(s) and which are judged to be beyond the student’s control. Following are some general categories of mitigating circumstances: serious illness of the student, serious illness or death of an immediate family member, immediate family or financial obligations, discontinuance of a course by the school.

Variable-Unit Courses

Chabot College offers courses in which students may earn more units per semester. These courses are structured so that the amount of credit earned depends upon the amount of creditable work completed. The VA requires that enrollment be certified for the minimum number of units attempted, followed by an updated certification at the end of the semester reflecting the actual number of units earned.

Non-punitive Grades

Students earning non-punitive grades are not eligible for VA benefits for the course(s) in which the grades were assigned. Non-punitive grade can result in an overpayment. Non-punitive grades include No-Credit (NC), In-Progress (IP), Incomplete (I) and any grade or symbol which regardless of the title used, does not satisfy graduation requirements and is not used in calculating the grade point average.

Repeating a Course

Students who repeat courses which were previously completed with grades of A, B, C, D, or CR are ineligible for benefits. Certain courses are repeatable as specified by the Chabot College Catalog, if required for the student’s academic objective.

Questions Regarding Status of VA Benefits

Students who receive correspondence from the VA and have questions regarding their benefits should bring in the correspondence to expedite the receipt of their benefits.

When Can You Expect Payment?

Approximately eight weeks after the application and enrollment certification is submitted to VA by our office, the student will receive a computer-generated award letter from VA showing the enrollment period certified, remaining entitlement, delimiting date, and claim number. For payment inquiries, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

Further Information

For information of VA education benefits or payment status, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.


Gradient right  
    Phone: (510) 723-6600 | Last updated on 2/14/2018