Types of Financial Aid

To be considered for all Federal and/or State Financial Aid, students must apply each year using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act application for AB 540 eligible students.

  • This program waives the enrollment fee for qualified California residents attending a California community college.
  • This waiver is available if your financial need is considered low, moderate, or high.
  • This is the most accessible of the programs that Chabot College offers.
  • We encourage each student to use the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application to apply for a fee waiver and be considered for other possible forms of aid. If you can only be considered for a Fee Waiver, apply for the California College Promise Grant online.

Apply Online

  • The two types of offered Cal Grants (B or C) relate to what type of program you will be enrolled in at Chabot College. (Cal Grant A is not available to students at a California Community College, because it is specifically for tuition, and we do not charge tuition for CA residents.)
  • These grants are only available to California residents who apply by May 2nd for the next school year.
  • High school or college GPA must be submitted to the California Student Aid Comission (CSAC) by March 2nd as well. (Most schools submit GPAs electronically by the deadline, but it is your responsibility to ensure that GPA is submitted on time.)
  • If you missed the March 2nd filing deadline, you may still qualify by meeting a September 2nd competitive Cal Grant deadline for California Community College students only.
  • To learn more about Cal Grant GPA calculation, visit the Cal Grants website.
  • Students must successfully submit a FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.
  • Students attending Chabot College as their first institution of higher education, and enrolled full-time (12 units or more) will be guaranteed Free Tuition for the First Year (Fall 2024 and Spring 2025).
  • Students must submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application by August 1st, 2024.
  • Visit the Chabot Promise website for details.
  • The California Chafee Grant is free money for current or former foster youth to help pay for college or career or technical training. You may also be able to use your grant to pay for child care, transportation and rent while you're in school. The Chafee Grant is subject to availability of funds each year. To learn more, visit the Chafee website.
  • Students must successfully submit a FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.
  • Visit the Chafee Grant website for details.
  • The amount of your Pell Grant is determined by the size of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the Cost of Attendance at Chabot College, your enrollment status (i.e. half-time, three-quarter time, or full-time), and whether you attend for part or all of the academic year.
  • Federal Pell Grants are targeted to students with very high need. Even if you do not qualify for a Pell Grant, you may be eligible for other forms of financial aid.
  • Generally, students are not eligible to receive federal student aid from two diferent schools when attending at the same time.
  • Students must successfully submit a FAFSA.
  • This grant is reserved for students with the greatest financial need.
  • Unlike Federal Pell Grants, FSEOG funding is limited. Chabot College receives a predetermined amount of FSEOG funds for the school year. Once those funds are used up, no additional awards can be made.
  • Students must successfully submit a FAFSA.
  • FWS is a federally funded employment program that enables you to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) on campus (or in rare cases, off campus).
  • The amount awarded is the maximum amount you can earn during the academic year; it does not guarantee job placement.
  • You must be enrolled at least half time (6 units) during the Fall/ Spring/ Summer to participate in the FWS program. If you drop below 6 units or withdraw from school, you must stop working immediately.
  • You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to be eligible.
  • Students must successfully submit a FAFSA.
  • Visit the Federal Work Study website for details.
  • The Financial Aid Office does not award student loans as part of the "award package" in our initial review for financial aid eligibility. Students who are interested in borrowing a federal student loan at Chabot College are required to submit a completed Direct Loan Application Form to the Chabot College Financial Aid Office.
  • There are two types of Direct Stafford Loans available at Chabot College: subsidized and unsubsidized. To learn more about these loans click here.
  • Students must successfully submit a FAFSA.
  • Visit the Federal Direct Loans website for details.

*Important - Chabot College is not affiliated with and does not endorse any of the Web sites listed. This is simply a compiled list of web resources which may provide helpful information. Chabot does not make any certification/guarantee regarding the accuracy or reliability of any information provided in this list. Clicking any link listed above will transfer the user to a page not under Chabot’s control. Read our web and privacy policy.


The purpose of the Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) award is to provide Cal Grant recipients with additional financial aid to help offset the total cost of California community college attendance and to encourage completion at a faster pace by requiring full-time enrollment. Funds are limited and are awarded on a first come first served basis.

  • SSCG1C will pay $2596/year ($1298/per semester) to students who are enrolled in 12-14 units.
  • SSCG2C will pay an additional $5404/year ($2702/per semester) to students who are enrolled in 15 or more units.
  • Students enrolled in 15 or more units will receive both grants, with a combined value of $8000/year ($4000/per semester).

The award amount is based on the student's financial need and shall not exceed the total cost of attendance.

In order to qualify for a SSCG, you must meet the following requirements:

    • Be awarded a Cal Grant B or C award and be eligible for payment
    • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress – based on applicable federal standards
    • Be a California resident or be exempt from paying non-resident tuition
    • Be enrolled in at least 12 units per term (college level courses). Must have completed/earned 12 or more units for retro payment. 

The SSCG1 and SSCG2 refunds are paid after census each term and are based on the number of units of official enrollment at the time of awarding and disbursement. Award payments may not exceed unmet need.