Online Counseling


Admissions: Application and California Residency Status


Orientation and Student Education Planning

Registration: General Procedures, Fees, Prerequisites and other enrollment problems

Grading Policies & Procedures

Advisement/Follow-up Counseling



Admission: Application and California Residency Status

Visit the Admission and Records FAQ.




How do I sign up for assessment?
Please visit the assessment website.

How can I prepare for the assessment or have an idea about what to expect?
Please see assessment website for study guides.

How and When will I find out my assessment results?
You can access your results online from CLASS-Web within 24 hours of completing the assessment. Once you are logged into the CLASS-Web system: click on Student Services, click on Student Records, click on View Assessment Results.

I was assessed in English, reading and math at another college, can I use those placements here at Chabot?
No, Chabot does not take assessment results from other colleges. If you actually completed and passed a course you may use the Prerequisite Challenge procedures. 


What is “assessment” and why do I have to sign up for one of these sessions?
Assessment is part of the Student Success and Support Program and consists of an English and math placement test. All new students, unless exempt, have to go through assessment to determine what level of English and/or math they should start with at Chabot.

Who could be exempt from taking the English assessment test?

  1. Those who earned a grade of C or better in an English prerequisite course at another college (transcript required);
  2. Those who received a minimum score of 3 on the English Advanced Placement Test (AP test scores required);

Please note:  Chabot does not accept assessment test scores from other colleges/universities.  

Who could be exempt from taking the math assessment test?

  1. Those who earned a grade of C or better in a math prerequisite course in high school or at another college (transcript required);
  2. Those who received a minimum score of 3 on the Math Advanced Placement Test (AP test scores required);

Please note:Chabot does not accept assessment test scores from other colleges/universities.

If English is not my native language, do I have to take the English assessment test?
Yes, but you may want to take the English As A Second Language Test instead of -- or in addition to -- the assessment given native speakers of English. If you took both, you could compare the results and, with the help of counselors and instructors, choose the sequence and type of English courses that would be best for you.

What happens if I don’t think the scores are right and that I should be able to enroll in a higher level English or Math course?
If you believe you have the ability to succeed at a higher level English or math course than your assessment results indicated, you may

  1. Wait six months and retake the assessment (please be aware that waiting is not always the best option as it would take you less time to complete the course you assessed into and additionally there is no guarantee that by retaking it you will assess higher);
  2. Speak to a counselor during an appointment to consider special permission to retake the assessment test prior to the six month policy.  Please be aware this option is rarely approved as it requires a compelling reason.  Not being prepared or not knowing what to expect are NOT considered compelling reasons;
  3. Initiate “Prerequisite Challenge Procedures” with the English/Math Department. You will have to demonstrate that you already possess the skills taught in the English/math “placement” course and, therefore, have met the prerequisite for the course in which you wish to enroll. Pre-requisite challenge procedures are described in the Schedule of Classes and the Catalog.

Can I repeat the assessment test to get a better placement?
Assessment tests may be repeated after 6 months

If I took AP English and AP Calculus in High School, do I still need to take the assessment tests or do these tests fulfill the prerequisites?
English and math AP exams may be used in place of assessment testing when scores of 3 or better are earned. Even though you may have submitted your AP scores to the Admissions and Records office for credit toward an AA degree, you must also complete a Prerequisite Clearance Request form for each AP exam score you would like to use as a prerequisite. If you need assistance, please speak to a counselor

<back to top>


Orientation and Student Education Planning


What is Orientation?
The Online Orientation is your first opportunity to learn a lot about Chabot College: what majors we offer and how to choose an educational goal; what support services are available; how to read the Chabot Catalog and the Schedule of Classes; what it takes to get a Certificate, Associate Degree, and/or transfer to a four-year college or university; and much, much more.

What happens during the Student Education Planning Session?
For many of you, this will be your first opportunity to interact with a counselor at Chabot.  A counselor will help you choose the courses you want to take during your first semester at Chabot and, using results of the placement tests, show you the sequence of English and/or math courses you will need for your educational goal. The counselor will also start an education plan with you and recommend that you make an appointment later in the semester to develop this plan further.

How Do I Select My Courses?
Most students select courses based on their interests, educational, or career goals. You are encouraged to read course descriptions included in the class schedule to get a good idea about the content of the class. Doing so, can help you determine whether you will enjoy the topic being taught. Often, students would use the general education lists as a guide, especially if earning an associates degree or planning to transfer to a four-year institution are part of your educational goals. Counselors can also review your placement test scores, high school and college records, as a means to help identify some courses that would be beneficial for you to enroll in during your first semester of attendance.


Do all new students have to go through orientation and Student Education planning?
Actually, no.
Students may be waived from all the Student Success and Support Program steps if they already have an Associate Degree or higher.

If I am exempt from the Student Success and Support Program, does that mean I can register for any course I want?
Not if the course has a prerequisite. You may still need prerequisite verification and/or assessment, especially if you want to take an English or math course. In that case, you would only be exempt from the Orientation and Education Planning steps.

How can I prove that I took a prerequisite course at another college?
You will need to have that college send an academic transcript to Chabot’s Admissions & Records Office. Some schools charge for this, so you may want to call first and find out.  Most transcript requests have to be in writing and include fee payment if required.  In order to clear a prerequisite completed at another college you need to submit a completed Prerequisite Challenge Request form.

Can’t I use my own copy of my classes and grades from that college?
You may use “unofficial” transcripts for advisement purposes , but if you want any of the courses you took at the other college to count toward a certificate or degree at Chabot, you will need to have that college send official (college to college) records directly to Chabot. The only exception to this would be if your copy is in an envelope from the other college and sealed with the words “Official Transcript” across the envelope flap which would be obvious if opened or tampered with. You could take that unopened envelope to Admissions & Records or Counseling, and it would be official.

Do I have to have high school transcripts sent to Chabot, too?
Some prerequisites may be satisfied with high school courses and/or test scores. It’s a good idea to have your high school transcript sent to Chabot for other reasons, too; for example, they may be needed to verify completion of the UC transfer foreign language requirement or show you meet certain eligibility requirements for programs such as EOPS.

If I went to more than one high school, do I have to get transcripts from all of them?
Usually you just need to have records sent from the last high school attended since most will send transcripts which include courses, credits, and grades from all high schools attended.

If I went to more than one college, will the last one I attended include all the courses I took at the other colleges?
No. Some colleges will show that a certain number of units or credits were transferred in when you enrolled in that college, but they will not show a detailed description of course titles and grades. You will need to have official transcripts sent from each college attended if you want the courses to count toward a certificate or degree at Chabot College. 

What happens during Registration Planning if I don’t have any transcripts from other colleges available?
Basically, you won’t be able to take any courses that have prerequisites without records to show that you met those prerequisites at the other college(s). So, for your first semester, you may be restricted to courses that have no prerequisites.

How many courses or units should I take my first semester? 
This is a personal decision and dependent on your unique needs/situation. Many students work full or part time and/or have other obligations that make it necessary to take fewer units each term. For those who are required to maintain "full-time status" (e.g., financial aid or insurance policy purposes), carrying a minimum 12 units during fall and spring terms will be necessary. There are no specific courses which must be completed your 1st semester. It is recommended, NOT required, that you concentrate on your English/Math early but if you can't get into either class, they can wait until the next semester.

Which courses do I take first?
In college, you have some flexibility in the order of the classes you take. Some things to look for are whether or not the class has a "prerequisite" and also to adhere to any "strongly recommended" advisories. Generally speaking, and if you know you are working toward a degree program, we suggest beginning with the math and English courses you placed into from the assessment test. Major and General Education courses are designed to be taken concurrently, or at the same time. Our suggestion is to take whatever is available, then work with a counselor to help put things in perspective for the following semester.

What courses should I take if I don't have a major?
Many students begin taking courses at Chabot without having a firm idea about a major or area to study. In fact, there are many courses that are available to help you explore your personal goals, careers and majors.

Here are some ideas of courses and activities that may help you explore:

  • Explore the resources on TECS website and center
  • Take Career Planning classes (PSCN 10)
  • Make a career counseling appointment with a Counselor
  • Use general education courses to find out more about a subject

You don't have to declare a major right away, but the sooner you decide the more efficient you can be in selecting courses that fit your interests and also meet degree requirement

What is general education and do I have to take these classes?
General Education, also called GE or Gen Ed, is a pattern of classes that are a required part of all associates and bachelors degrees. If you plan to complete a degree there will be some GE required. Exactly which pattern you follow depends on which degree at which institution you desire but you can expect to see requirements in categories such as English, math, arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences and physical and life sciences.  General Education provides opportunities for students to develop skills and knowledge from a variety of fields to help you understand the complex world in which you live. It will help you build a foundation for future coursework and lifelong learning. Through General Education, the college encourages you to become well informed, effective citizens of the world who actively participate in community affairs, cultivate self awareness, appreciate the arts and pursue lifelong learning.

How do I get a student ID card?
Visit Online Services.

<back to top>



General Procedures, Fees, Prerequisites and other enrollment problems.

For more information, please visit Admissions and Records.


How do I register?
You will register online using Chabot Web Registration system called Class-Web.  If you need technical assistance in person please visit Student Online Services in Building 700, room 709.  

How do I know when to register?
About a month in advance, Chabot will publicize priority registration dates for students thru the academic calendar. Typically, registration begins May for the summer and fall terms and November for the spring term.

How is priority registration determined?
Visit the priority registration webpage.

How much does it cost to register at Chabot?
The cost to register for classes is determined by the number of units you select and your residency status. There are also other fees that you must calculate to the total cost of registration (Health fee, ASCC fee, parking fee, etc). Don't forget to find out if you qualify for a fee waiver, if eligible, the fee waiver can cover the majority of the registration expenses. The financial aid office can assist you with the necessary forms.  Visit the cost and fees webpage.

How can I get information about Financial Aid?
You can apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application on-line for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and fee waiver application available in the Financial Aid Office or FAFSA website.  Please visit the Financial Aid Office website for more information.


Do I have to pay for my classes the same day I register?
You have the option of paying for your fees online at the time of registration with a credit card.  You also have the option of paying your fees later by cash or check.  Please note that deferring payment of your fees could result in a registration hold and/or a transcript hold.

What is the refund policy?
Please visit the refund webpage.

What is a unit?
A college unit is a term used to define the number of hours a student spends in a given class. A one-unit class typically meets for one 50-minute "hour" of instruction or class time per week for the entire length of the semester. A lab/activity class may meet 3 or more 50-minute "hours" weekly for each unit earned. Some classes have combined units for both lecture and lab hours, such as biology or chemistry classes.

How many units do I have to take to be considered a full time or part time student?
A full-time study load is 12 units. Anything less than 12 units is considered part time.  A student may not carry more than 18 units during Fall/Spring/Summer semesters without special permission by submitting an excess units petition form.

When I tried to register, I was told I couldn’t get the class I wanted because I didn’t have the prerequisite completed.  How do I get it cleared for registration?
Please visit the prerequisite clearance webpage.

What’s the maximum number of units I can take in a semester?   I wanted to register for 19 units but couldn’t. What’s the problem?
Students who want to enroll in more than 18 units in a semester must get approval from a counselor.

I used to go to Chabot and am returning after two years. I completed the application and all the other forms but was told I still couldn’t register. What’s that about?
There are several reasons for which you may be blocked from registering if you are returning to Chabot (or even continuing at the College):
a. If you owe any money to the College, for any reason, you cannot register until you clear up this debt;
b. If you were dismissed from Chabot for academic or progress reasons, you have to complete, with a counselor, a “Petition for Readmission” and submit it to the Admissions & Records Office. 

I have a hold, what do I need to do to remove it so I can enroll for classes? 
It depends on the type of hold that you have. If it is a probation hold you may need to meet with a counselor to remove it. There are also holds that are placed by other departments and you would have to check with them to see what is needed to remove it.

Is it possible to register for two courses if their times overlap a little?
Only if one of the instructors is willing to let you miss that part of his/her class that conflicts with another and signs a “Course Overlap Form” for you before you register.

What can I do if the classes I really want are all full?
You may use the waitlist option if available to increase your chances of getting into the course.  You may be able to get into those courses by going to them the first day of school and asking the instructors if they are willing to let you in. It is the instructors’ decision; if they can’t add you, you’ll have to choose other courses. Advice? REGISTER EARLY FOR THE NEXT TERM!

Can I still register for a class that’s full, or after the semester officially begins? 
It's possible. Show up to the next available class meeting and speak to the instructor. It is always at the instructor's discretion (whether or not they feel you've missed too much) and dependent on whether or not there is physical space. Also, you can contact an instructor by phone or email to inquire; however, showing up to class ensures that you do not miss out on too many meetings in the event you are able to add. 

How do I add or drop a class?  
Please visit the add or drop a class webpage.
NOTE: Non-attendance does not mean that you have dropped a class. It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw from a class.

If I register for some courses and know in advance that I’ll miss the first day or two of classes, will the teachers hold my place?
They don’t have to, and if the courses are popular ones that are usually full, they probably won’t. You can try writing a note to each instructor explaining why you’ll be absent, but there’s no guarantee the instructors will save your place if you miss the first day of school.  Advice? Unless the reason for being absent is very serious and absolutely unavoidable, you should always plan to attend all your classes right from day one! 

Will an instructor automatically drop me if I stop attending a class?
You should never assume that you will be automatically dropped from a class. Always initiate a drop yourself. Remember to drop classes by the drop deadlines listed in the academic calendar in the Schedule of Classes.

<back to top>


Grading Policies & Procedures

If I do repeat a course that I got a D or F in and get a better grade, will the bad grade be taken off my transcript?
The course that was previously taken and the grade of D or F does not “disappear” from the transcript. What happens is that the units and grade points from the first attempt are subtracted and only the repeated grade and units are calculated into the cumulative GPA and unit totals.
How can I get a late withdrawal from a class?
A student may petition for a late withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances (such as verified cases of an accident, illness, military obligation, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student), only after the deadline to drop with an instructor's approval has passed and prior to taking the final exam. Documentation of the extenuating circumstance must be attached to the petition.  The petitions are  available in general counseling and are reviewed by the Dean of Counseling.


How do I find out my semester grades?
Semester grades can be obtained on Class-Web.

Can I repeat a course for a better grade?
That depends on the course and the grade you got. If it’s a course that’s “repeatable” under normal circumstances, If the course is not normally repeatable and you earned a D or an F in it, you may repeat the course for a better grade. (If a course is repeatable, it will be described as such in the Chabot Catalog.)  Please note there are limits to the times a course can be repeated, see counselor for details.

If I repeat a course at Chabot that’s the same as one I took at another college and got a D or F in, will that change my GPA and unit totals at the other college?
No. Chabot is not allowed to change the records of any other educational institution.

What if I get a C in a course that’s really important for my major and I want to repeat it to try for a better grade?
You are not able to repeat any courses in which a C grade or higher is earned.

Can I get “pass/no pass” instead of a letter grade?
That depends on the course. In both the Chabot Catalog and the Schedule of Classes, the grading options for each course are listed: “LG” = Letter Grade only; “P/NP” = Pass or No Pass only; “OP” = Option for Letter Grade or Pass/No Pass. If the course offers both grading options, and you want to take it for P/NP, you need to fill out and submit to Admissions & Records a “Credit/No Credit Authorization Form” by the last day of the 5th week of the semester. Check the Chabot website or the Schedule of Classes for the deadline for semester-length classes; if you miss the deadline, you’ll have to get a letter grade.  You may not repeat a course in which you earned a grade of “P”. Once designated, a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) may not be changed to a letter grade. If you are planning to transfer to a four year institution, be aware that institutions may not count a course toward your major in which you earned a grade of “P” and institutions may limit the number of units for which you earned a “P” that they count toward a Bachelor’s degree. You should consult the catalog of the transfer institution for more specific information on this subject.

How many classes can I take for Pass/No Pass to graduate from Chabot?
A maximum of 12 units of “P” units may be applied toward an associate degree at Chabot.  NOTE: Certain majors require letter grades in all courses for which a letter grade is an option. Be sure to check with your major department before taking courses for “P/NP” to be sure the department will accept these units.  Please refer to Chabot catalog for more specifics.  

If I’m not doing well in a course, and it’s too late to drop it, should I take an “Incomplete”?
Technically, if you are not doing well in a course, you should not be allowed to get an “Incomplete”! This grading option was designed to help students who were successfully getting through a course but, due to unusual and serious circumstances such as illness, injury, or a death in the family, could not finish the last two or three weeks of the class and/or take the final exam. In any case, an “Incomplete” is something you would have to arrange with the individual instructor. 

If I do get an “Incomplete” grade, should I register for the course again?
No. See the instructor to find out what needs to be finished to get the grade changed.  (Ask the instructor for a copy of the “Incomplete Grade Form” submitted to Admissions & Records.)

Will I be able to register for a course if I have an “Incomplete” in a prerequisite course?

How do I get the “Incomplete” changed to a grade?
Once you have finished everything required by the instructor for the “Incomplete” to be cleared, the instructor -- and ONLY the instructor -- submits a “Change of Grade” form to the Admissions & Records Office. This form cannot be picked up or returned to A & R by a student; it has to be handled by the instructor himself/herself.

I heard that I only have one year to finish an “Incomplete”; what happens if I can’t do it by then?
You can petition the Academic Council for an extension of time to finish the “Incomplete” and submit the request through Admissions & Records. It would be advisable to get the written support of the instructor and/or a counselor for your petition.

What happens to an “Incomplete” if I don’t petition for an extension of time and still don’t finish it in one year?
In most cases, an “Incomplete” that is not finished in one year is automatically changed to an “F” unless the instructor specified a different grade on the Incomplete Grade Form given to Admissions & Records when the course was originally taken. If you get an “Incomplete” you should always ask the instructor what you have to do to finish the course and what grade you will get if you don’t finish the work.

<back to top>


Advisement/Follow Up Counseling


I finished all my Certificate and Associate Degree classes. How do I get my degree issued?  How do I file for graduation?
Students must file a petition for an Associates degree or Certificate of Achievement by the deadline shown in the Academic Calendar for the semester in which he/she plans to complete degree or certificate requirements. Visit the evaluation webpage.

How do I obtain a Chabot transcript? 
From Admissions and Records.  Please visit the transcript request webpage.

If I have a disability, where do I go for help?
Visit the Disability Student Resource Center.

Where can I get more information about transferring?
Please review Transfer FAQ.

How do I contact an instructor?
Use the Chabot directory.


How do I meet with a counselor?
You may see a front desk counselor for quick questions or make a counseling appointment. See the available options.

Am I assigned a counselor?
You are not assigned a counselor unless you are part of a special program that requires counseling, such as EOPS, CARE, CalWORKs, DSPS, PUENTE, etc.

What is a student educational plan?
A Student Educational Plan (SEP) is your roadmap outlining suggested course of study on a semester-by-semester basis based upon your college major(s), transfer plans and sequence of courses. It is developed for the student with the counselor and can be revised when necessary.

What is academic/progress probation and how do I avoid it?
Visit the probation and dismissal webpage.

How do I know what classes to register for every semester?
Once you know your major and have completed 12 semester units you should make an appointment with a counselor to develop a Student Education Plan (SEP) that is appropriate and workable for you. Ideally, a comprehensive Student Ed Plan will show you all the courses you need for your major, general education, prerequisites, basic skills, etc. -- and in the sequence that you should take them. Once you have a good Studet Ed Plan set up, registration each semester or term becomes easier. You’ll still need to select the days and times and instructors from the Schedule of Classes, and the SEP may need to be revised occasionally, but at least it gives you a place to start. 

How long will it take to earn an Associates Degree? To transfer?
The answer to this depends largely on your personal circumstances and how many classes you are taking each term. An average estimation for a student successfully carrying a full time load and taking advantage of summer sessions is 3 years to both graduate with an associate degree and transfer.    

Do I have to participate in Graduation Commencement ceremony to receive my diploma?

You are not required to attend the ceremony; however we highly encourage you to attend and invite your family and friends to celebrate your achievements at PCC.

Do I have to pay to graduate or receive my diploma?
No, the graduation application and diploma is free.

How do I know I have everything I need to get my AA degree or if I need to finish any other classes?
You may schedule an unofficial transcript evaluation appointment with a counselor to discuss your progress toward a degree. In this way, we can confirm that you have fulfilled all requirements or that you are clear on what remaining requirements you might need to fulfill to meet your educational goals.  You may also request an official evaluation through Admissions and Records.

How do I know if the classes I took at another college count toward my degree at Chabot?
You can schedule an unofficial transcript evaluation with a counselor.  Counselors can require students to provide course descriptions for the lower-division work completed at other colleges prior to awarding credit at Chabot College.

A word of caution for students who have completed upper-division course work at universities or colleges: Upper-division credit can not be used for the requirements of an Associates degree, general education certification, lower-division major preparation, certificates, or electives - this restriction is described on Title 5 section 55805.5. of the Education Code. Please see a counselor for additional information.

Can I get my GED certificate at the College? 
No. Although classes can help prepare you for the GED, the local school districts and/or adult schools need to be contacted for GED preparatory programs and testing information.

How can I change my major? 
Use the Admissions and Records Student Data Change Form.

I’m a veteran and I want to use my educational benefits, and I was told I need a special education plan for that. Where do I start?
Your first stop will be a meeting with the Veterans’ Representative whose office is in the Student Services Building. From there, you’ll be referred to a counselor to complete the Veterans Education Plan. This cannot be done on a drop-in basis or during the first three weeks of classes. Make an appointment with the counselor to whom you are referred and plan on it taking at least an hour to complete the Veterans SEP (Student Educational Plan).

What is an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree?
Whether your degree is an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Sciences (AS) is determined by your major. To find out if your intended degree is an AA or AS, please refer to the Chabot Catalog. An AA/AS is awarded for completion of all requirements in the major, general education, and graduation requirements for a total of 60 units minimum.

Which is better, an A.A. or A.S. degree?
In California, the AA degree is generally in preparation for transfer. The A.S. degree is generally for a vocational program or for majors in the sciences/math. Both degrees are good.

Do I have to get an AA/AS degree to transfer?
No, an Associate Degree is not required to transfer. But, the courses required for an AA or AS degree can be integrated into your educational plan for students who would like to transfer and earn an Associate Degree.

What is a certificate?
A certificate is a recognition that you have trained for an occupation or a set of skills. It does not require general education coursework, but rather focuses on vocational skills. You may also apply coursework taken for a certificate to a later associate degree.  A list of certificates offered at Chabot can be found in the catalog. 

How can I get information about Chabot’s Nursing program?
The Nursing Department has an excellent website http://www.chabotcollege.edu/nurs/  that will provide you with all the information you need regarding the Nursing program. To determine your standing in relationship to the program requirements, you will need to schedule a counseling appointment.

How long may I take to complete a college program? May I continue to attend Chabot College after completing my degree or certificate?
Students receiving financial aid or veterans benefits may have some time restrictions, otherwise there is no restriction to the length of time it takes to complete a program or to the number of units you may earn. (However, if you transfer to a 4-year school, maximum 70 transferable semester units may be applied to the Bachelor's degree.)

What is the difference between quarters and semesters?
A quarter is approximately 12 academic/school weeks. There are 4 quarters in an academic/school year. A semester at Chabot College is 17.5 academic / school weeks. There are 2 semesters, plus Summer sessions, in an academic/school year. Within the University of California (UC) system, all campuses are on a quarter system with the exception of UC Berkeley. Within the California State University system, 16 campuses are on a semester system, while 6 campuses are on a quarter system. To transfer as a junior, you will need 90 quarter units or 60 semester units.

How do I calculate my GPA?
GPA stands for grade point average. Letter grades are given the following point values:

A - 4.0
B - 3.0
C - 2.0
D - 1.0
F - 0.0

Each class has a specific unit value. Multiplying the letter grade value by the unit value equals the grade points. The next step is to divide the unit total into the grade points to determine the GPA.

Units                  Point Value
  3 Units of A  =  3 x 4  =  12
  3 Units of B  =  3 x 3  =   9
  3 Units of C  =  3 x 2  =   6
  3 Units of D  =  3 x 1  =   3
  3 Units of F  =  3 x 0  =   0
------                           --

  15                                30

To figure your grade point average divide your total number of grade points
by your total number of units.

  30/15= 2.0


What should I do if I still have questions?

Follow these instructions to submit your question.