Safety & Prevention
The campus' environmental design is a component of effective crime prevention. Our Maintenance and Operations Department works hard at keeping the campus grounds well groomed and adequately lit during darkness. The campus grounds and parking lots are lit at nightfall until 11:00pm during normal days of operation.
Campus Safety and Security can be contacted on Emergency Talk-A-Phone and Campus Phones strategically located throughout the campus for your safety.
Each of us must do our part to prevent crime by taking appropriate preventative measures and promptly reporting crimes or suspicious activities. Here is how you can do your part:
- Avoid isolated, dark, or less traveled areas of the campus.
- Walk in well traveled, lit areas.
- Try to avoid walking alone at night. Stay in groups or take advantage of our Safe Ride/Escort program that offers student/employee escorts.
- Carry a whistle, cellular telephone or other device to summon aid if you detect trouble.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- Become familiar with the locations of phones and emergency call boxes.
- Always lock your car and never leave valuables in sight.
- When returning to your vehicle, always have your keys in hand for a speedy entry. Check the rear seat of your vehicle before entering and immediately lock your car doors upon entering.
- Avoid working or studying in buildings alone at any time.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Department of Campus Safety and Security.
The Big 5 Safety Protocol
- Shelter in Place
- Drop, Cover and Hold On
- Secure Campus
- Lockdown / Barricade
Active Shooter Preparedness
- Homeland Security Active Shooter Preparedness Program webpage
- How to Survive an Active Shooter video: