Student Rights and Responsibilities


The academic standards policy of Chabot College is established to assist students in making appropriate educational plans. There are two indices to academic standards: Academic Status and Academic Progress. Academic Progress is an evaluation of the student’s successful completion of units. The College will advise students of their grade point average and progress in order that they may make sound self-appraisal of their college work.


Grades are a means of communicating student achievement within courses of instruction. The suggested meaning of college grades is as follows:

“A” — The student has been consistently superior in all phases of the course and has shown initiative, imagination, and self-direction well beyond that required by the instructor.

“B” — The student has satisfied the course objectives with fairly consistent performance typically above average and demonstrates considerable mastery of the course materials.

“C” — The student has completed most of the course objectives and requirements in a satisfactory manner as to quantity and quality of performance, including attendance and participation.

“D” — The student has barely met the course objectives and success in advanced work is doubtful.

“F” — The student has failed to accomplish the minimum re- quirements of the course and has not met the course objectives to any significant degree.

“P” — The student has completed the course with “C” or better work.

“NP” — The student has completed the course but without credit. The student has either not taken the examination or has fallen below the grade of “C.”

“I”* — The student has not completed the course, has not taken the final examination, and has made an agreement with the instructor to complete the requirements.*

*“I” (incomplete) grades represent an instructor-student agreement that the student may complete the course work by the end of the following term or semester and receive an appropriate letter grade. If the student does not complete the course work before this deadline, the right of the student to make up the work is forfeited. The “I” will be replaced with the alternate letter grade assigned by the instructor at the time the incomplete was assigned. Consequently the revised GPA will be calculated.


The Academic Grade Point Average is an index of the quality of a student’s work.

Grades earned in non-degree-applicable courses (numbered 100–299) will not be used when calculating a student’s degree applicable grade point average. No courses below the English 1A requirement are degree applicable.

To enable the calculation of grade point average, eligibility for honors and recognition, and other scholastic status, letter grades are converted to numerical form using the following grade point equivalents:

Grade Meaning Grade Value
A Excellent 4 grade points per unit
B Above Average 3 grade points per unit
C Average 2 grade points per unit
D Barely Passing 1 grade points per unit
F Failure 0 grade points—units attempted with no units earned
P Pass 0 grade points—units earned with no units attempted.
NP No Pass 0 grade points—units attempted with no units attempted.
May negatively affect Progress.
I Incomplete 0 grade points—no units earned and no units attempted.
May negatively affect Progress.

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing total grade points by total units attempted:

GPA = Total Grade Points / Total Units Attempted


History 1: 3 units x 3 grade points (B) = 9 grade points
Math I: 5 units x 2 grade points (C) = 10 grade points
P.E. 1 ½ unit x 4 grade points (A) = 2 grade points

TOTAL: 8½ units
21 Total Grade Points

GPA= 21/8.5=2.47 or C


Students who graduate with“Highest Honors” (GPA of 3.50 or better) and those who graduate with “Honors” (GPA of 3.25 or better) are recognized at graduation.

Students who complete at least 6 units of work each semester with grades of A, B, C, D, or F yielding a semester grade point average of 3.5 or better are recognized for academic distinction by placement on the Academic Honors List and by a notation on the semester grade report and transcript.

Academic achievement may be further recognized by our Chabot College chapter of Alpha Gamma Sigma, the California Community College scholastic honor society. Students who fulfill the membership criteria of this community service-oriented club will earn a special recognition on their transcript. Individual programs and divisions may also recognize their graduates at commencement or special ceremonies. Membership eligibility and other information is available from the Office of Student Life in Building 2300, Chabot College.


A student who has attempted at least 12 semester units of college courses (not including W’s) and has a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 will be placed on Academic Probation level I.

A student on Academic Probation I who does not raise his/ her cumulative grade point average to a 2.0 or higher in the following semester will be placed on Academic Probation level II. Please note that Veterans lose their certification for Veterans benefits after two semesters of academic probation. Please refer to the college’s Office of Veterans Affairs Academic Standards of Progress for further information.

A student on Academic Probation II who does not raise his/ her cumulative grade point average to a 2.0 or higher in the following semester of attendance will be dismissed. The first time a student is dismissed he or she may apply for readmission after one semester (summer session not included) of non- attendance. In the case of a second dismissal, the student may apply for readmission after 5 years of non- attendance. Summer session does not count as a semester in determining academic status.


Once a student on academic probation raises his or her overall (cumulative) grade point average to a 2.0 (C), or higher, he/ she will be taken off of Academic Probation status and will become a “student in Good Standing.”


Progress Probation is determined by the percentage of cumulative units with grades of W, NP, or I (Poor Progress Grades). A student who has attempted 12 semester units of college course work will be placed on Progress Probation level I if 50% or more of the cumulative units attempted resulted in Poor Progress grades.

A student on Progress Probation I who does not reduce his/ her percentage of cumulative poor progress units to below 50% will be placed on Progress Probation II.

If a student on Progress Probation II continues to have 50% or more of his/her cumulative units made up of Poor Progress grades in the following semester, he/she will be dismissed. The first time a student is dismissed he or she may apply for readmission after one semester (summer session not included) of non-attendance. In the case of a second dismissal, the student may apply for readmission after 5 years of non-attendance. Summer session does not count as a semester in determining progress status.


In order to reverse poor progress status and become a student in good standing a student must reduce the cumulative units of W, NP or I grades to less than 50% of his/her total units attempted. Summer session does not count as a semester in determining progress status.


Under extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control or ability to foresee, exceptions to these policies may be granted by the Director of Admissions and Records.

Students should see a counselor to discuss their progress or academic status and for details associated with the academic standards policy.


Awarding grades to students is the responsibility of the instructor of the course in which the student is registered. The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetence.

When a student believes that an error has been made in the assignment of a grade, he or she should discuss the problem with the instructor. To correct an erroneous grade, a special “Request for Grade Change” form must be completed by the instructor and submitted to the division Dean who will forward the form to the Vice President of Academic Services. Final authorization to change the grade shall be granted by the President of the College or designee.

Requests for a grade change must be made during the semester immediately following the semester or session for which the grade was assigned. Responsibility for monitoring personal academic records rests with the student.

Grade changes will not be made after the established deadline except in cases with extenuating circumstances. These are acute medical, family or other personal problems which rendered the student unable to meet the deadline. Requests for a grade change under this exception shall be made to the Vice President of Academic Services or designee who may, upon verification of the circumstance(s), authorize the initiation of a grade change. The student must present evidence of the extenuating circumstance(s).


(Unit Limitations May Exist at Transfer Institutions)

In accordance with the Education Code and Title 5, §55022, Chabot College has established a grading policy which adds the “P” (pass) and “NP” (no pass) grades to the standard letter grades (A,B,C,D,F) used in colleges and universities. Courses in which a “P” (pass) grade is earned will apply toward the 60 units required for graduation, but will not affect the student’s grade point average. A maximum of 12 units of “P” (pass) may be attempted and applied toward the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science Degree. (Additional units may be applied provided the student secures prior approval of the division Dean of Counseling. A course in which a “NP” (no pass) grade is earned will not apply toward graduation and will not affect the student’s grade point average. An excess number of “NP” (no pass) grades will affect the student’s academic progress ratio, resulting in a low figure.

Offering courses for pass/no pass grades provides the student with the opportunity to explore areas outside his/ her current interest field without undue concern for his or her grade point average. This policy allows the student to take coursework outside his or her major without the fear of a substandard grade, namely a “D” or “F.” Students are expected to complete the course and comply with College attendance requirements and other expectancies of the course. Should they fail to do so, their enrollment in the class may be terminated and the work may be graded on the basis of a standard letter grade.

Chabot College offers:

  1. Some courses solely for a pass/no pass (P or NP) grade.

  2. Some courses solely for a standard letter grade.

  3. Some courses in which the student may choose to complete the course for either a pass/no pass grade OR for a standard letter grade.

On or before the last day of the fifth week of the semester, the student shall inform the Admissions and Records Office, by petition, of his or her intention to complete a course for a pass/no pass grade and the instructor shall report to the Director of Admissions and Records a final grade of “P” (pass) or “NP” (no pass) for students who so petition. The student’s decision to opt for pass/no pass grade may not be reversed by either the student or the instructor at a later date.

The “P” (pass) grade will be given to indicate completion of a course with “C” or better work.

A student may repeat a course in which a grade of “D,” “F” or “NP” (no pass) is earned.

*Formerly “Credit/No Credit”


Administrative Symbol “IP”—Mastery Learning Courses The administrative symbol “IP” is established to indicate coursework “in progress.” Its use is limited to mastery learning courses. It may be used only for a student who is making satisfactory progress toward the completion of a course but who has not completed all of the modules by the end of the semester or session.

The symbol “IP” is not a grade; therefore, it has no value in calculating unit credit or grade point average.

Only one symbol “IP” may be received by a student for any mastery learning module or course. The required coursework to remove the “IP” must be completed by the end of the term or session following the date the “IP” was granted. If a student is assigned an “IP” at the end of an attendance period and does not re-enroll in and complete that course during the subsequent attendance period, the appropriate faculty member will assign an evaluate symbol (grade) to be recorded on the student’s permanent record.

Administrative Symbol “RD”—Report Delayed

The administrative symbol “RD” may be assigned only by the Director of Admissions and Records. It is to be used when there is a delay in reporting a grade due to extenuating circumstances. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent grade/symbol, as soon as possible. “RD” shall not be used in calculating grade point averages.

Administrative Symbol “I”—Incomplete

Incomplete academic work for unforeseeable emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term may result an “I” symbol being entered by the instructor on the student’s permanent record. A “grade change card” with the following documentation shall be maintained by the Director of Admissions and Records.

  1. The condition(s) stated by the instructor for removal of the “I.”

  2. The letter grade to be assigned if the work has not been completed within the designated time limit.

  3. The letter grade assigned when the stipulated work has been completed.

  4. The signature of the student.

    The “I” shall be made up by the end of the term or semester following the date it was granted. The student may petition to extend this deadline date because of extenuating circumstances, but this will require the approval of the Vice President of Student Services, or designee, and the instructor of record.

    The letter grade to be assigned if work has not been completed within the designated time shall be changed following grade change procedure.

    The“I” symbol shall not be used in calculating units attempted nor for grade points.


Chabot College supports the general proposition that the full value of classroom learning experiences cannot be measured by any examination. Students who have achieved elsewhere an equivalent knowledge, understanding and experience to that required by regular college courses may receive units of credit based on successful completion of a comprehensive and searching course examination administered by the College. Standardized examination may be used in specified “licensure” programs and to determine the appropriate placement of students in a field of study. The student receiving credit must be registered at the College, in good academic standing and have paid all applicable fees and/or tuition. The courses for which credit is allowed must be listed in the Chabot College Catalog. The amount of credit to be granted cannot be greater than that listed for the course in the catalog. Credit by examination is offered under the provisions of the California Administrative Code, Title 5, §55050.

Comprehensive Examination Administered by the College

  1. Eligibility

    Any student applying for credit by examination will be expected to have had extensive experiences which have prepared the person in the subject matter and for which the individual can provide acceptable evidence of those experiences at the time of application.

  2. Application and Administration

    A petition for completing a course through credit by examination must be approved by the appropriate instructor, division dean, and the Vice President of Academic Services. Applicable fees and/or tuition must be paid at the Admissions and Records Office. Arrangements for completing the examination and the actual administration will be made between the student and the instructor after the petition is approved. The examination itself may take any appropriate form such as written, oral, demonstration or a combination of methods.

  3. Awarding of Credit

    Upon completion of the examination, the administering instructor will verify the course and number of units to be received and will assign an appropriate grade. Where the student does not achieve a grade of “C” or better, he or she will be expected to complete the course in the usual manner.

  4. The Director of Admissions and Records, or designee, will annotate the student’s transcript to indicate that the credit was granted for the course in question by examination. This credit by examination coursework may not be counted as part of the 12-unit residency requirement necessary for graduation from Chabot College.
  5. Limitations
    Credit cannot be given for a course which is comparable to a course already credited on the student’s secondary school transcript although an examination in such a course may be given to determine the level of achievement and the appropriate placement of the student in the field of study. The amount of credit which may be earned and counted toward graduation at Chabot College is limited to 10 semester units. Under certain circumstances, advanced placement credit may be awarded to a diploma graduate in nursing which may include up to 30 semester units (one year) of academic credit.




Students who have coursework from other institutions or knowledge gained elsewhere which is equivalent to Chabot College course(s) may request course substitutions for degree or certificate requirements. To petition for a course substitution or waiver, see a counselor for guidance as to appropriate substitutions/waivers, approval processes, and request forms.


Students are expected to take mid-term and final examinations in each course for which they are enrolled. Additional examinations may be scheduled by instructors at their discretion. Unless students have made prior arrangements with the instructor, the instructor is under no obligation to help a student make up an examination he or she has missed.

Instructors may notify students of unsatisfactory work at any time during the semester. Such notices are given to the student in person or mailed to the student at his/her home address. Excessive absences, academic deficiency, and failure to submit assignments constitute reasons for notices of unsatisfactory work.

A student who receives such notices, or any student who experiences difficulty with academic achievement, is encouraged to consult with his/her instructor and counselor for assistance in planning a student educational plan.


Under the provisions of the California State Education Code and Governing Board Policy of this District, a student’s capability to profit from the instruction offered shall be determined by evidence of the individual’s:

  1. Capability to meet the demands of college instruction at Chabot College;
  2. Capability to master and proceed beyond the minimum basic skill levels required for success in college education;
  3. Capability to show substantial progress in cognitive and affective learning in college courses;
  4. Capability to show progress toward independent learning.

By this rule, the College shall determine whether a person is or is not capable of profiting from college instruction. The determination of capability to profit is a matter of composite professional judgment based upon available evidence.

Additional information may be obtained from the Office of the Vice President of Student Services, Chabot College.


Whenever a student is delinquent through failure to comply with College rules and regulations, to pay debts, or to return property owned by the College, that student’s records may be impounded. A student whose records are impounded shall not be allowed (1) to register for subsequent terms of instruction; (2) to receive transcripts of work completed; or (3) to receive other services of the College which relate to his/ her records. When the student has cleared his/her obligation with the College, the impoundment of his/her records shall be removed.


It is assumed that each student will consider attendance an absolute requirement. It is the student’s responsibility to attend every class for the scheduled length of time. Excessive absences, tardiness, and leaving class early may be taken into consideration by instructors in assigning grades or dropping the student from the course.


Absences should be cleared directly with instructors. (Note: The size of the College prevents telephone messages being given to instructors.)


A student absent for a total of four consecutive or six cumulative instructional hours and/or two consecutive weeks of instruction may be dropped from that class by the instructor. This action constitutes an official termination of class enrollment and will be recorded.


Students are not permitted to make recordings in class or in any campus meetings without the express approval of the instructors involved. Exceptions shall be made for physically limited students who have a permit issued by the Disabled Student Programs and Services. The permit is evidence of the physical need of the student to use a tape recorder and of the student’s agreement to not use or allow to be used the content of the tape for any purpose(s) other than course related study.


In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) the Chabot Las Positas Community College District prohibits discrimination against students and employees with physical or mental disabilities that substantially limit activities such as working, walking, talking, seeing, hearing, or caring for oneself. People who have a record of such an impairment and those regarded as having an impairment are also protected.

The college ensures that students with disabilities will not be unlawfully subjected to discrimination or excluded from participating in or benefiting from programs, services or activities. Students are accorded due process as outlined in specific complaint procedures developed by the College.

Students with disabilities at the College have the right to: access courses, programs, services, activities and facilities offered through the College an equal opportunity to learn and receive reasonable accommodations, and/or auxiliary aids and services; be assured that all information regarding their disability is kept confidential; disclose their disability directly to faculty.

Students with disabilities at the College have the responsibility to:

  • Meet all fundamental course requirements and qualifications and maintain essential institutional standards for courses, programs, services, employment, activities and facilities;

  • Identify themselves to the Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) as an individual with a disability when an accommodation is needed and demonstrate and/or document (from an appropriate professional) how the disability limits their participation in courses, programs, services, employment, activities and facilities;

  • Actively work in partnership with faculty and DSPS staff to develop reasonable accommodations appropriate to their disability; and

  • Comply with the Academic Accommodations Procedures for requesting and utilizing DSPS services.

For information regarding filing complaints based upon discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, students should contact the college ADA/504 Coordinator, Vice President of Student Services, in Building 700, Room 708.

The posting, distributing or disseminating of printed materials that advertise, publicize or otherwise provide notice of activities, events or information are subject to the following regulations.

All printed materials must indicate the name of the sponsoring individual, department, or registered club or organization.

All printed materials written in a language other than English must be accompanied by an English translation.

Any printed material deemed to be slanderous, libelous, grossly obscene, offensive or pornographic will not be accepted for positing.

The Office of Student Life supervises and authorizes all campus publicity including posting of flyers and banners and distributing hand-outs or products.

Except as specified in these guidelines, no printed material may be placed on or against, attached to, or written on any structure or natural feature of the campus, such as, but not limited to doors, windows, building walls, walkways, roads, posts, fences, waste receptacles, trees, plants or shelters.

No printed materials may be left unattended on campus grounds or inside campus buildings without prior permission of the Office of Student Life or the Dean responsible for the specific building.

Publicity may not be affixed or inserted into campus lawns or grounds.

Publicity may not be affixed to or left on cars in Chabot College parking lots.

The use of the Chabot College name or logo is limited to authorized or official publicity. It may only be used by a registered student club with approval of the Director of Student Life.


At Chabot College, the Office of Student Life is responsible for posting of all materials on campus, in designated locations. This service is offered at no charge to all college departments, clubs and organizations, and for a minimal fee to non-affiliated and off-campus organizations. Academic and administrative department bulletin boards (usually located in specific department buildings) are maintained by each department. Permission for posting at these locations must be obtained individually from each area Dean.

Flyers are posted on Tuesdays and Fridays during the regular school year, for up to two weeks. Due to space limitations, flyers must not exceed 8½”x14” in size. Exceptions to this must be pre-approved and are subject to space availability. Posting for summer and holidays may vary. All items to be posted must be received by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the posting day desired, at the Office of Student Life, Building 2300, Room 2355. Approved posters will be stamped and posted. Any displayed post- ing not in the designated areas or not displaying the approved posting stamp, will be removed immediately. Repeat offenders found to be posting illegally will lose future rights to have materials posted at Chabot College. There is a limit of 25 flyers to be posted for any one event or program.

Special Posting for Housing Availability, Employment Opportunities, Community Service/Volunteer Opportunities and Car Pooling/Transportation can be done at no cost through the Office of Student Life. Enclosed glass cases for each area are updated regularly. Preprinted forms for each specific area can be completed in Room 2355.