CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) provides temporary financial assistance and employment-focused services to families with minor children who have income and assets below state limits for their family size. Chabot CalWORKs is a state funded program designed to assist individuals to obtain the education and training necessary to successfully compete in today’s job market and to achieve self-sufficiency academically, financially and employment-wise.
|Follow us at|
Chabot student must:
- Be enrolled or in the process of enrolling in classes at Chabot College
- Be a CalWORKs participant with their local County Welfare Department
- Have completed or be in the process of completing a Welfare-to-Work Referral for Educational Training
- Be a Cash Aid recipient from their local County Welfare Department
- Academic Advising Services assists students with the development of a County-approved educational plan.
- Career Advising Services helps students choose from a wide range of career choices.
- Career Services assists students with resume writing, internet job search, interview techniques and job placement, both on and off campus.
- Childcare Services assists students with childcare referrals and with childcare services.
- Work-Study Program provides CalWORKs students with employment opportunities while attending Chabot College and pursuing their educational goals. Learn more about Work-Study and how to apply.
How to Apply
Complete these steps in the exact order:
- Schedule an appointment with Counselor Assistant, Emily Chan, to complete an Intake Form.
- Schedule an appointment with a CalWORKs counselor.
For this appointment, you must:
- Bring the following 4 documents for verification. This is required by your Alameda County Employment Counselor.
- Verification of Education or Training Program
- Student Educational Plan (SEP)*
- Child Care Needs Schedule
- Homework/Study Time Statement
- Provide a copy of all transcripts if you have previous college credits.
IMPORTANT: County Employment Counselors will not approve your child care, transportation and books & supplies money until these two intake appointments are completed.
Building 700, 2nd Floor
Room 767J, 767K
Elsa Saenz, MSW
CalWORKs Counselor & Coordinator
CalWORKs Professional Specialist
Josué A. Hernández
Student Assistants (Front Desk) 510-723-7694