Dreamers Dream Act

Can AB 540 eligible students qualify for financial aid?

YES! In 2011, the CA Dream Act (AB130/AB131) was passed, granting undocumented students who meet the requirements for AB 540, access to private and CA state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college Promise Grant (BOG fee waiver), Cal Grant and Chafee Grant. At Chabot College, undocumented AB 540 eligible students can also qualify for state funded special programs like Puente, EOPS and Umoja. Under CA Senate Bill 1210, the UC and CSU systems created a DREAM loan program for qualifying students starting in the 2015-2016 academic year.

  • Submit the CA Dream Act if you qualify for AB 540 and are: undocumented, a DACA, TPS, or U-Visa holder
  • Submit the FAFSA if you are a: T-Visa Holder, an eligible non-citizen (i.e. permanent resident, refugee, asylee, parolee) or a US Citizen

To learn more about who can apply and what types of aid are available, please visit the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) website.

The Chabot College Financial Aid Dream Act website also provides resources for students completing the CA Dream Act Application.

CA Dream Act for Financial Aid Next Steps 2023-2024

Step 1: Submit the CA Dream Act if you qualify for AB 540 and are: undocumented, a DACA, TPS, or U-Visa holder, beginning October 1, 2021 for the 2023-2024 academic year (Fall 2023, Spring 2024, Summer 2024) at dream.csac.ca.gov  

Step 2: Submit the AB540 affidavit to Admissions & Records* along with official transcripts from high school, adult school, or community college. http://www.chabotcollege.edu/admissions/docs/ab540intersegaffidavit.pdf

Step 3: On your CLASS-web or TheZone, check the Financial Aid tab for any required documents.  Submit them as soon as possible to the Financial Aid Office to complete your financial aid file.* Read the Student Eligibility & Responsibilities Checklist.

Step 4: Check your CLASS-web or TheZone for disbursement dates for each semester.

Step 5: Be sure to

·       Maintain satisfactory academic progress to keep your financial aid

·       Make sure your contact information is current with Admissions & Records

·       Remember to re-apply for financial aid every academic year well before the March 2nd priority deadline.

For assistance in completing the Dream Act application visit El Centro/Dream Center 


If you have any questions about the CA Dream Act application or need help applying, please contact the Chabot Dream Center.

Are there scholarships available for undocumented students?

YES! There are many scholarships available that do not require you to be a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident, and do not ask for a social security number.

If you have any questions about financial aid or scholarships, our Dream Center staff are happy to help assist you.