Mental Health Services

        CARES Banner



Crisis Support

If you currently feel unsafe and in danger, please use the following resources

  • 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: Dial 988. Available nationwide, 24-hours, 7 days a week.
  • Crisis Support Services of Alameda County: 1-800-309-2131
  • 211 Alameda County: Call 2-1-1 for free and confidential service that provides easy access to housing info, and critical health and human service.
  • Crisis Text Line: Text "COURAGE" to 741741. 
    Provides free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Chat through text with a trained Crisis Counselor.
  • For all life-threatening emergencies, call 911

CARES mental health services

Services We Offer

All mental health counseling services are CONFIDENTIAL and included as part of your student health fee. To receive services, you must be enrolled in at least 0.5 at Chabot College.

We offer:

  • Crisis counseling
  • Short term individual mental health counseling- up to 6 sessions per semester
  • Same day walk-in mental health counseling
  • Support groups - see groups listed below or email for more information
  • Referrals for mental health services in the community
  • Therapy in Spanish


The CARES team offers short term mental health therapy appointments. These sessions are offered at Chabot in-person or virtually. To be eligible for an appointment you must be a student at Chabot College. 

To make a referral please stop by our office in building 700 room 708.

You can also fill out the online referral form by clinking the link below. If you have trouble with the link or would like support with filling out the form please call our front desk at 510-723-7531 or stop room 708


Submit the CARES Referral Form


Walk-in Services

The Chabot CARES team provides walk-in (no appointment necessary) sessions that are  typically 20-30 minutes and held in-person.  Walk-ins give students the chance to ask general questions about mental health and gain some guidance around best avenues for support.  These are not meant to be comprehensive therapeutic services.

How and where to receive walk-in services

  • To receive Walk-in services simply show up to the CARES office (rm 708 in the 700 building, first floor) and let the front desk know you would like to see a therapist for walk-in. Please note - are walk-in appointments are on a first come first serve basis and do have a tendency to fill up so try to arrive early to sign up for an appointment. 

Walk-in schedule - Summer 2024

Walk-in services will resume July 1st






What To Expect During CARES Appointments?

During your first counseling session you will complete the intake process, sign forms and begin to share what brings you in. The counselor's role is to be empathetic, respectful and non-judgmental. What is shared in session will be kept confidential. Counseling is a process of awareness, discovery and understanding of one’s life struggles and challenges. Counseling can help with making decisions, choices, or changes that are right for you.

Our mental health practitioners and interns provide confidential assistance for:

  • Depression
  • Relationship issues
  • Family changes & challenges
  • Anxiety (including test anxiety)
  • Financial stress
  • Health crisis
  • Traumatic events
  • Grief and loss
  • Overwhelming feelings
  • Talking to someone in a safe and trusting environment 
  • And other issues not mentioned here


We place an emphasis on protecting your confidentiality communication with us. We want you to know that aside from the state mandated exceptions (noted below), no identifying information - written or otherwise - about your contact with Chabot’s Mental Health Counseling Services will be disclosed to anyone outside of Chabot’s Mental Health Counseling Services without your written authorization. This includes academic and staff departments, other campus entities, and friends and family. Please note, if you are under the age of 18, please call for information about our confidentiality policy.

The main exceptions the confidentiality can arise when:

  • You state intent to harm yourself or someone else.
  • You report current abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult or child.
  • There is a court order, or if you or your attorney discuss your mental state as a defense in a criminal or civil action.

Greater detail on these policies including some other technical exceptions can be provided upon request. Should you have questions about confidentiality, please feel free to discuss this with us. 

Online support services