Chabot College

Skip navigation

Nursing Home

Information Meetings


RN Program

LVN to RN Program

ADN to BSN Program

Simulation Lab



Foreign Trained Nurses

RN Refresher 2014

Program Announcements

Faculty & Staff



FAQ Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be a resident of the District to be eligible to apply? No.  Chabot Nursing selection in 2014 will be by merit calculation of all eligible candidates.  We have two locations; selected students in proximity to our Valley location are placed in the Valley cohort, all others in the Chabot cohort. This includes student selected from both inside and outside District boundaries.

Do you keep a waiting list? We do not keep a waiting list. If an applicant is not accepted into the program, the applicant must re-apply for the next selection period. This policy applies to in-District and out-of-District applicants.

Do you have a part-time or evening program?  No, the Nursing Program is a full-time program with classes from Monday through Thursday, approximately 7a.m. to 3p.m. Occasionally there may be an evening assignment, a Friday class or weekend clinical.

How long does the Nursing Program take to complete? It is two year or  4-semester program. No courses are offered in the summer session.

How long does it take to complete the program from starting the prerequisites and general education courses to finishing the nursing curriculum? If you start slowly and take one course per semester, it could take as long as six years. If you take a full load of coursework for your prerequisites and general education requirements each semester, you can complete the program in about 3 years. It is up to you.

Can I work while I am in the program? There is no restriction against working while enrolled in the Nursing Program. However, it is not recommended to work more than 16-20 hours a week as it can interfere with your success in the program. It is not advised to work on days in which classes or clinical experiences are assigned. You will not be permitted to leave early or arrive late to clinical or class. Limited scholarship money is available. Financial aid and low-cost loans are available please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Is there a pre-test I need to take to qualify? Yes, each eligible student will take the TEAS  version 5.0 (Test of Essential Academic Skills)  computer test. You must score an overall average of 62% Individual Adjusted Score* to qualify for the program. The top 120 applicants will be mailed information on date, time and location of test. *Please note program percentile ranking may be changed.

When can I submit an application for the 2-year program? Applications are accepted only from November 1st thru end of January 31st of the application year. The application will be available through your Classweb account. Student ID is required to access the application.  Please follow the steps as outlined in Application Procedures. If you are an LVN or transfer student, please refer to LVN-RN/Advanced Standing for application procedures.

How do you select your students for the 2-year program?  Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements are will be by chosen by a merit calculation (Criterion Score or Eligibility Worksheet) sections 1-5. The  students with the top 120 merit based scores will be asked to take or submit their TEAS V official test from ATI to finalize the selection of the top 50 applicants. Student can earn only one "C" in their science course and repeat "W" or failing grade in only one course.

Can I bring my transcripts to you? No, one copy of your Official (sealed) transcript(s) must be submitted by mail to Admissions and Records department or included with your application. Do not send a copy to the Nursing Program Office.

How many students do you accept? We accept up to 50 students once a year for the Fall Semester.

Do you have a Spring entry period?  No. The program accepts students once a year for the 2-year program that begins in the Fall Semester.

What are the prerequisites for applying to the 2-year program?

1.                  You must complete Human Anatomy1, Physiology 1, Microbiology 1 (or their equivalents), and English 1A (or its equivalent).  You can earn only one "C" in the three courses. You can only repeat one time if you withdraw or fail one course.

2.                  All pre-requisites must be completed by December 31st. If you are enrolled in any pre-requisite in Fall you may submit an application in January after Fall grades have been posted.

How can I find out if the courses I am taking at another college are equivalent to the courses at Chabot College?  Students not enrolled at Chabot/Las Positas Colleges should have a counselor at the college that they have attended evaluate inquiries regarding course equivalency for courses taken. Chabot College will make the final determination during the Nursing Program application period. It is best to check early to see if your courses are equivalent to Chabot College courses. Counseling appointments should be made well ahead of time, as the Counseling department is very busy at certain times of the year.

Chabot/Las Positas Colleges uses the California Articulation Number (CAN) system to determine course equivalency between colleges. A CAN match between colleges means the courses are equivalent. This information will be useful for your counselor in recommending course equivalency. Please note that not all courses have CAN agreements on file.

I took a combined Anatomy and Physiology course with a lab. Will that count? If you took only 1 combined Anatomy and Physiology course  A/B, you will need to have completed a 2nd combined Anatomy and Physiology (B)course with a lab  at the same institution. Many colleges offer these combined courses over 2 semesters or 3 quarters. A counselor can help you determine whether your combined course will transfer. The courses must be the equivalent of the Anatomy and Physiology at Chabot College.

Will someone in the Nursing Program go over my transcripts with me to see if I am missing anything? The Nursing Program office cannot evaluate individual transcripts. Please seek the assistance of the Counseling Department (510-723-7013).

I have a Bachelors Degree (or higher) from another college. What courses will count towards my AA in Nursing? It depends on your major. Generally, if you have a BA./BS or MA/MS, you will may have met most of the General Education requirements and will only need to take the natural science courses.

I was educated in another country. Will my coursework transfer to Chabot College? You will need to have a professional evaluation of your foreign transcript completed. You may obtain a brochure from the Counseling Division that explains how you may obtain the evaluation. The evaluation is not simply a translation of the courses, but rather it consists of a careful analysis of the actual content of the coursework you took in your country's college or university.

How will I know if I am going to the Hayward(Chabot) Campus or the Livermore (ValleyCare) campus for classes?  West of Castro Valley eligible applicants will be placed in the Hayward pool. 40 Students are selected.  Eligible applicants east of Castro Valley will be placed in the Extended Campus - Livermore location pool where 10 will be randomly selected.

How much will the program cost? The approximate cost of the 2-year program is approximately $7,000.00. This includes tuition fees, books, uniforms, shoes, medical/dental examinations, in-program and NCLEX-RN testing fees, and background check/drug screen clearance. The advanced-standing student can expect to pay approximately $4000.00, inclusive of testing fees and background check/drug screen clearance.

Why do I have to have a background check? Hospitals are now requiring all nursing students to have a background check and drug screen prior to coming to the hospital for clinical experience. The one-time cost is currently $87.00.

My coursework is old. Do I have to re-take any classes? Chabot College does not have a recency requirement for Fall 2013 applicants. 

What hospitals do you use for clinical experience?  Hospitals include Eden Medical Center, Kaiser-Hayward, St. Rose Hospital, ValleyCare Memorial Hospitals, Gladman and Heritage Psychiatric Center (this is not an exhaustive list). Students are assigned by the nursing faculty.

To top of page.