Members of the Basic Skills Committee work together to develop, recommend, coordinate and implement strategies to help Chabot students
successfully acquire the basic skills necessary for their future development. This will include, but is not limited to: serving as a
central forum for campus dialog on the topic of "basic skills," fostering research on and implementation of effective practices, seeking
out constructive exchange of ideas with departments engaged in Basic Skills instruction and institutionalization, as well as learning
from effective practices developed here at Chabot and elsewhere; advocating for funding, programs, and services that serve basic skills
students, and assisting in the identification, commitment, and acquisition of necessary resources, both internal and external for basic skills.
Our original charge is to:
- Define what constitutes "basic skills" at Chabot.
- Consider issues relevant to the assessment and placement of basic skills students.
- Collaborate with administration and various campus units in conducting the college's basic skills self-assessment.
- Coordinate with various campus units on larger college-wide planning goals.
- Collaborate with faculty to apply/adapt research-based and effective practices in basic skills to Chabot classrooms.
- Carolyn Arnold, Institutional Research, PRBC Representative
- Patricia Shannon, School of the Arts, Humanities
- Marcia Corcoran, Dean, Language Arts
- Matthew Kritscher, Vice President,
- Stacy Thompson, Vice President, Academic Services
- Katie Messina, Counseling
- Hisako Hintz, Language Arts, ESL
- Samantha Rajaram, Language Arts, English
- Patricia Shannon, School of the Arts
- Matt Davis, Science & Mathematics
- Jane Wolford, Social Sciences
- Michael Thompson, Social Sciences
- Rani Nijjar, Social Sciences
- Rachael Tupper-Eoff, Learning Connection
- Carolyn Arnold, Coordinator, Institutional Research
Meets 2nd & 4th Tuesday, 12 pm-1 pm, Room 501, unless noted otherwise