Transfer Planning

 Transfer Basics for CSU & UC

Begin MAJOR course requirements early on

  • Major courses can be more important that GE
  • Find UC & CSU major courses (and GE) at ASSIST*

Complete needed GENERAL EDUCATION (GE) requirements 

Complete 60 transferable UNITS prior to transfer (for UC & CSU)

Stay on track - Meet with transfer representatives at the Transfer Center. Check in with your Chabot counselor regularly to meet requirements and to locate important tools. 

 *ASSIST is the official source for California State University (CSU) & University of California (UC) transfer course articulation.

 More Transfer Tools


Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T/AS-T/ADT) –  A type of associate degree you can earn to guarantee admission to the CSU system. Additional info & A Degree With A Guarantee 

UC Transfer Admission Planner (UC TAP) –  An online tool to help prospective UC students plan and track their course work; also can submit your UC TAP for a UC Transfer Admission Guarantee and export into your UC application.

UC TAG - UC Transfer Admission Guarantee offers community college transfer students an opportunity to secure a guaranteed seat at one of the six participating UC campuses: UC Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz.

Apply to CSU & Apply to UC The Transfer Center offers application information sessions and workshops.

Check out information sessions, checklists, workshops at the Transfer Center.

Enroll in Psychology Counseling (PSCN) 18: University Transfer Planning to learn more about university transfer.


Transfer to private & out-of-state universities

  1. IGETC (see GE section above) – A starting point for course selection for private & out-of-state transfer. Course requirements vary by institution.
  2. Transfer Guarantee to Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) - Transfer agreemement offering guaranteed admission with junior standing to participating HBCUs. 
    1. Additional info from the Transfer Center.
  3. Contact the transfer institution of your choice as early as possible to review their transfer credit policy. Though many private and out-of-state universities award transfer credit for UC-transferable course work, it is important to determine how and which Chabot College courses will receive transfer credit.
  4. Apply to private universities
    • The Transfer Center offers application assistance through its information sessions and admission application labs. View its calendar of offerings.

Transfer FAQs