Left gradient
Students learning
announcements ANNOUNCEMENTS


2016-17 Applicants

The 2016-2017 priority application deadline is March 2, 2016. If you have not completed your 2015-16 FAFSA, we encourage you to fill it out as soon as possible.  Applying early will help us process your file quicker and if eligible for financial aid, you will be able to receive your financial aid award on time for the start of the Fall semester. 

Check your Zone: If you are planning to attend Chabot College next year, please be sure to check your Zone account for updates on verification documents or forms you may need to submit to us for  Financial Aid file completion.  July 1 is the priority deadline to turn in all required verification documents for the first Fall disbursement.

I've applied; now what?

Student Aid Report

What is the Student Aid Report (SAR)?

  • The SAR, or Student Aid Report, contains a summary of the information you provided on your FAFSA.
  • It also lists your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which is the number used to determine your eligibility for financial aid. Your EFC will appear in the upper right-hand portion of your SAR.
  • If the SAR does not provide an EFC, you application is missing key data needed to calculate the EFC, such as tax information or student/parent's signature. Read your SAR carefully or see the Zone or required documents.  Make required corrections on FAFSA.ed.gov, or bring in all documentation to the FAO for assistance. 
  • The U.S. Department of Education sends this report to all the schools you list on your FAFSA. Make sure you list the Chabot College Federal School Code of 001162.
  • You can search for Financial Aid Federal School Codes for other colleges and universities at www.fafsa.gov

When will I receive the SAR?

  • You should receive your SAR from the U.S. Department of Education within several days of electronically filing your FAFSA, or four weeks if you mail it.
  • If you file online and provide your e-mail address, you will usually receive your e-SAR within 72 hours, provided you and your parent's have electronically signed (with a PIN) the application at the time you applied.
  • If you have not received the SAR within two to four weeks after applying, you can check on the status of your application by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center (1-800-4FEDAID). 

What should I do with it?

  • You must review your Student Aid Report carefully to make sure all information is correct and complete.
  • Be sure to carefully read the SAR for guidance on what you may have to do for follow up on your financial aid application, or to resolve any identified problems.
  • If it is correct, you can keep your SAR.
  • If your SAR is incorrect, obtain, complete and submit all requested follow-up documents to the Financial Aid Office within two (2) weeks of the school receiving your electronic application.
  • The student is ultimately responsible that all information is correct. Remember, you and your parents signed the certification statement on your original application stating that all information is true and correct! Any error you made must be corrected, even if the Financial Aid Office does not request documentation. (Example:  you or your parents indicated that you "will file" federal taxes on your original FAFSA application, and estimated income, tax liability, etc.  Now that you have completed filing your federal taxes, you must go in to make correction to those estimates.  You signed and agreed that is what you were going to do.)

How do I make corrections?

  • If you need to make corrections, you may do so through the FAFSA on the Web site, even if you did not apply online. It is fast, easy and free!
  • By law, estimated tax info must be corrected to match IRS data: If you estimated your income tax, and your spouse's or parent's, make sure your numbers match those on your final IRS tax forms. (See Important Information Regarding IRS Tax Comparison for more details.)
  • Submit corrections to incorrect SAR information with any other requested documents to the Financial Aid Office, so we can review other data and submit all corrections at one time.
  • If the information on the SAR is correct, but no longer reflects your current family situation, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your special circumstances. We may be able to adjust the data elements on your application and re-assess your eligibility through a process called Special Circumstances.

When should I submit my corrected SAR?

  • Submit all your corrections as soon as possible. The financial aid process takes eight to twelve weeks depending on the time of year, type of aid desired, and your promptness to requests by our office.
  • You may turn in your corrected, signed SAR to our Financial Aid Office. The experience of the Financial Aid Office staff may result in more accurate review and corrections submitted. However, submitting your corrections online yourself may speed up the financial aid process, especially during very busy times in the office.

Return to top of page


What is Verification?

  • Verification is a process, initiated by the U.S. Department of Education or by the Financial Aid office, requiring you to verify the information that you provided on the FAFSA. You are required to submit copies of your income tax return transcripts and other documents to the Financial Aid Office.
  • If your application is selected for verification, you will not be eligible to receive federal or state aid until this process is completed.
  • Financial aid applicants at Chabot College are selected for verification for a number of reasons:
    • Randomly 30% of students are selected  by the Department of Education for verification.
    • Discrepancies on application, as determined by the Department of Education and/or the Financial Aid Office.
    • Substantial differences in data submitted from prior years.

What do I need to submit if my application is selected for verification?

  • All documents/forms are available for you to view on the Zone account under "Financial Aid" tab in the "unsatisfied requirements" section. 
  • If you or your parents did not use the IRS Data Retrieval process, then you must request a Federal Tax Transcript from the IRS. 
  • A copy of all W-2's associated with your income tax form.
  • A completed Verification Worksheet (Independent or Dependent, as the case may be).
  • Other supporting documents may be requested, and may require students obtaining documentation from local, state, or federal agencies. Examples of data which may require verification are:
    • Child support
    • Immigration
    • Birth Certificate(s)
    • Divorce/Separation
    • Social Security Card (must have correct, current name)
    • Veteran's benefits
    • Emancipation
    • Ward of the Court
    • Unemployment

When do I need to submit the documents requested?

  • To avoid unnecessary delays, please submit all required documents as soon as possible. Files are reviewed and processed in the order received, and during times of heavy student traffic, processing may be greatly delayed due to increased workload.
  • Be sure that you have filled out the Verification Worksheet completely, and that all documents are signed by the appropriate parties.
  • Documents with blanks and missing signatures will not be reviewed and may be returned!

What happens next?

  • When the Financial Aid Office receives your completed Verification Worksheet and tax transcripts, we compare the information on these documents to the information you provided on your original FAFSA.
  • If information from documents you submit conflicts with your FAFSA, we may require additional information to clear up the discrepancy.
  • The Financial Aid Office will contact you by mail to request additional information. However, you may always check your financial aid file status on the Zone! This method allows you to respond faster, if needed.
  • Responding quickly to any requests for additional information will help avoid further delays.
  • In some cases, the changes made during verification require resubmission of data to the U.S. Department of Education. If these changes affect your eligibility for assistance, you will receive a revised Student Aid Report.
  • Note: After verification is completed, household size and number in college cannot be adjusted.
  • Verification is required at Chabot when reviewing "Unusual Circumstances" petitions.

Return to top of page

Financial Need

Aid from most financial aid programs is awarded on the basis of financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford Loans).

How is my financial need determined?

  • When you apply for federal student aid, the information you report on the FAFSA is used to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
  • Your EFC number can be found on your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • The formula used to calculate your EFC is established by federal law and is used to measure your family's financial strength based on their income and assets.
  • The EFC is used to determine your eligibility for federal and state aid.
  • Your financial need is determined using this formula:

Cost of Attendance-EFC = Financial Need

Can my financial need be adjusted?

  • The Financial Aid Office may adjust data used to calculate your EFC or adjust your cost of attendance if your family's financial circumstances warrant it based on the documentation you provide.
  • Special circumstances

When am I eligible for need-based financial aid?

  • You may be eligible for need-based financial aid when your EFC is less than the costs of attending Chabot College. The lower your EFC, the greater your eligibility for financial aid, or the greater your ?need?. However, types of available aid vary depending on time of year you apply.
  • As state and federal funds are limited, the total amount awarded to you might fall short of the amount you're eligible for.
  • To insure maximum reward, make sure you apply early: no sooner than January 1 but before the March 2nd deadline.   Applying later may delay the notification of your financial aid award and total award amount as some programs are limited in funding.

Return to top of page

Missing Information or Unsatisfied Requirements

New! Within a few weeks after submitting your FAFSA, You may track and view any missing information or unsatisfied requirements by login into the Zone.

The Zone allows students to view:

  • Unsatisfied Requirements-forms and verification documents the office needs to complete your Financial Aid.

  • Your Financial Aid Award-you may view your Financial Aid Award.

  • Your Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students will be emailed via their ZoneMail any important financial aid announcements or alerts.

When should I provide the missing documents?

  • Deliver all completed supporting documents in one packet to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. We cannot complete your file review with only some of your documents; therefore, your file will not be reviewed until we receive all required documents.
  • After reviewing these supporting documents, other essential documents or information may be requested in order to obtain a complete view of the student's circumstances. (Thus, new information may be requested after initial review.)
  • The verification review will not be finished until essential documents or information is provided by the student (and parent, if applicable), and the Financial Aid Office has completed the review process.
  • Check the CLASS-Web Financial Aid site regularly for an update on your application process and need for submitting additional information.
  • Note: Because the application process may take weeks, it is important to apply as soon as possible. Some grant funds are limited and disbursed on a first-come, first-served basis. The earlier your application is complete, the more financial awards you can be eligible for.

What happens next?

  • Once the verification review is finished, you will be able to view your Financial Aid Award online via the Zone.

Return to top of page

Emails and Messages from the Financial Aid Office

New E-mail Communication: Beginning Spring 2010, all students will be sent periodic e-mails from the Financial Aid Office to their ZoneMail account.  Students are encouraged to check their ZoneMail for emails and also the Zone for the latest Financial Aid updates.

A few weeks after your file is complete, you will be able to view your Financial Aid Award online via the Zone or CLASSWeb.

Your Award Information on the Zone

  • The Award Letter details all types of financial aid and amounts for which you are eligible, for the entire school year. The amounts for cost of attendance and awards are always shown based on full-time enrollment status. The amount you may receive will depend on your enrollment status, and therefore will be prorated if your enrollment is less than full-time.
  • You may not receive aid in excess of your cost of attendance (including both need-based and non need-based).
  • Cost of attendance and financial aid awards are always presented assuming student will be enrolled full time (12 units during the Fall / Spring semesters, 6 during the Summer term). If a student is enrolled less than half time all terms enrolled at Chabot, his/her budget will be adjusted to reflect this based on Federal law.
  • The information found on your Award Letter is also available at Chabot's CLASS-Web and the Zone site. Use your Chabot PIN to access it.

How do I accept my award?

  • You do not have to return the Award Letter to the Financial Aid Office.
  • If you do not want to accept a certain award, or wish to reduce a dollar amount, you must submit the cancellation or reduction in writing (include your name, social security number, date and signature).

Do I need to remain a full-time student to accept my award?

  • No! If you are enrolled less than full-time (i.e. less than 12 units per semester), you will receive a prorated grant that is proportionately less than the amount that would be received as a full-time student.
  • If your plans have changed and you no longer plan on attending Chabot during a semester or academic year, contact our office in writing to cancel aid. This step is especially important if you are attempting to obtain financial aid from another school

What do the Award/Fund Messages mean?

There are many different financial aid awards available to eligible students. Depending on your situation, your award letter may list one or more types of aid offered. Please read the following definitions for those awards that are found on your letter.

BOG Fee Waiver

  • If you qualify for this award, your enrollment fees and your health fees will be waived. Our current practice is that only students who are eligible for state or Title IV aid receive an award letter. If students are also eligible for a BOG, this resource is included on their award letter. If students are only eligible for the BOG, they do not receive a paper award letter, but may verify their BOG on Class Web.
  • If eligible for a BOG Fee Waiver, you will be able to purchase a Chabot College parking permit for only $20.
  • You may be enrolled in 1 or more units to be eligible for this award.

Cal Grant B

  • This is your Cal Grant B award from the State of California.
  • The amount assumes full-time enrollment. If you are not enrolled in 12 or more units during any semester, your award will be adjusted to reflect the number of units in which you are enrolled (75% for 3/4-time, and 50% for half-time).
  • Students enrolled less than half-time are ineligible for Cal Grant awards.
  • Note: If you receive Cal Grant B funds for more than 2 full-time equivalent academic years at Chabot College, you will reduce the amount of tuition grant funds available to you if you plan to transfer.

Cal Grant C

  • This is your Cal Grant C award from the State of California.
  • The amount assumes full-time enrollment. If you are not enrolled in 12 or more units during any semester, your award will be adjusted to reflect the number of units in which you are enrolled (75% for 3/4-time, and 50% for half-time).
  • Students enrolled less than half-time are ineligible for Cal Grant awards.
  • You must provide the Financial Aid Office with your Institutional Student Information Record and supporting documents before any Cal Grant C funds can be credited to your account. Please bring these forms immediately.

Care Grant

  • This is a grant which has been awarded to you because of your participation in the CARE Program.
  • Awards are contingent on funding and determined by the CalWorks/EOPS Office.

EOPS Grant

  • This is a grant which has been awarded to you because of your participation in the EOPS Program.
  • Awards are contingent on funding and determined by the EOPS Office.

Federal Pell Grant

  • Your qualification for a Federal Pell Grant award is based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and assumes full-time enrollment.
  • If you are not enrolled in 12 or more units during any semester, your award will be adjusted to reflect the number of units in which you are enrolled (75% for 3/4-time, 50% for half-time, and some eligibility for less than half-time).
  • You must not be suspended from financial aid based on Chabot's Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Federal Work Study

  • Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a financial assistance program that enables you to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) on campus (or in rare cases, off campus).
  • The amount shown is the maximum amount you can earn during the academic year; it does not guarantee you a job placement.
  • You must be enrolled in at least half time (6 units) during the Fall or Spring Semester (and at least 3 units in Summer) to work as a FWS. If you drop below 6 units or withdraw from school, you must stop working immediately.
  • You also must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to be eligible.
  • Contact the Employment & Career Services Center to initiate the process.
  • The first day you can work is the first day of the semester, or the date the Financial Aid Office completes the hiring process and assigns an authorized start date.
  • If you wish to decline this award, you may do so at anytime with the Financial Aid Office. Otherwise, awards will be cancelled within 30 days of this notification, or the first day of the semester, whichever occurs first to make the funds available to other eligible students.
  • Original awarded amount may be reduced upon notification of subsequent awards or resources, or if financial or academic eligibility changes.
  • FWS is not typically available in Summer, with the exception of some positions, including NYSP.


  • You qualify for the federal SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant).
  • To remain eligible, you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more semester units), and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Awarded amount assumes full-time enrollment and will be prorated if less than full-time enrollment.
  • Original awarded amount may be reduced upon notification of subsequent awards or resources, or if financial or academic eligibility changes.
  • SEOG is not typically available in Summer, unless there are available unspent funds from the Fall/Spring terms available to the campus.

Stafford Subsidized or Unsubsidized Student Loans

  • A subsidized Stafford Loan is awarded based on financial need/eligibility.
  • You will not be charged any interest while enrolled at least half time in an approved academic program, or during authorized periods of deferment and before you begin repayment. The federal government subsidizes (pays) the interest during these periods.
  • An unsubsidized Stafford Loan is not awarded on the basis of need, but may not exceed the cost of attendance minus any other aid received. You are responsible for all interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.
  • Se Edfund web site for more information.

Special Circumstances

The Financial Aid Office understands that your (or your family's if you are dependent) financial situation may change due to unpredictable circumstances, and that your ability to pay for your education may be affected. Please contact Chabot College Financial Aid Office to discuss any special circumstances you may have.

Based on the information you provide (along with supporting documentation), your financial aid eligibility may be recalculated.

What are examples of special circumstances?

  • Income reduction or nonrecurring income (loss or reduction of employment or  benefits: disability, unemployment, or social security).
  • Changes in family circumstances (divorce/separation/death of spouse).
  • Unusual debts.
  • Special medical or dental expenses not covered by insurance, in excess of the 11% of the family's income which is already taken into account by the federal needs analysis formula when determining your financial aid eligibility.
  • Tuition/fees expenses at a private elementary or secondary school for dependent (s).
  • Adult care costs.

Additional Questions

Do I need to maintain a certain G.P.A. to keep receiving my award funds?

  1. Successfully complete at least 67% of the units attempted each term.
  2. Maintain a minimum 2.0 semester and cumulative Grade Point Average.
  3. Complete program of study within 150% of published program length, measured in attempted units. (Example: a maximum of 90 attempted semester units are allowed to complete an Associate or Transfer program of 60 required units. Beyond the 90 units, a student becomes ineligible for further financial aid.)
  • If you fail to meet minimum SAP standards, you may be funded for one probationary term (on warning status), or suspended from receiving financial aid. If funded while on warning status, you must meet SAP for continued funding consideration.

Return to top of page

Gradient right  
    Phone: (510) 723-6600 | Last updated on 9/27/2018