Left gradient
Students learning
announcements ANNOUNCEMENTS


Types of Financial Aid

To be considered for all Federal and State Financial Aid, students must apply each year using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov

Gift Aid





California College Promise Grant / Fee Waiver (formerly BOG Fee Waiver)

  • This program waives the enrollment fee for qualified California residents attending a California community college.
  • We encourage each student to use the FAFSA to apply for fee waiver and be considered for possible other forms of aid.  Undocumented students apply using the Dream Application.  If you only can be considered for the Fee Waiver, apply online here
  • This waiver is available if your financial need is considered low, moderate, or high.
  • This is the most accessible of the programs that Chabot College offers.

Federal Pell Grants

  • The Federal Pell Grant is free grant money that does not have to be repaid. These grants are available to assist in meeting educational costs.
  • The amount of your Pell Grant is determined by the size of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the Cost of Attendance at Chabot College, your enrollment status (i.e. half-time, three-quarter time, or full-time), and whether you attend for part or all of the academic year.
  • Federal Pell Grants are targeted to students with very high need. Even if you do not qualify for a Pell Grant, you may be eligible for other forms of financial aid.
  • Students must successfully submit a FAFSA application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov to determine gift aid eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • This grant is reserved for students with the greatest financial need.
  • Unlike Federal Pell Grants, FSEOG funding is limited. Chabot College receives a predetermined amount of FSEOG funds for the school year. Once those funds are used up, no additional awards can be made.

Cal Grant A, B, and C

  • The two types of offered Cal Grants (B or C) relate to what type of program you will be enrolled in at Chabot College. (Cal Grant A is not available to students at a California Community College, because it is specifically for tuition, and we do not charge tuition for CA residents.)
  • These grants are available to California residents who apply by March 2nd for the next school year, and funding is limited.
  • CA residents are considered for both the competitive and entitlement Cal Grant by filing a FAFSA by 3/2 each year.  Undocumented students apply using the Dream Application. High school or college GPA must be submitted to CSAC by 3/2 as well.  (Most schools submit GPAs electronically by deadline, but it is your responsibility to ensure that GPA is submitted on time.)
  • If you missed the March 2nd filing deadline, you may still qualify by meeting a September 2nd competitive Cal Grant deadline for California Community College students only.
  • To learn more about Cal Grant GPA calculation click here or the website at www.calgrants.org

Chafee Grant

  • The California Chafee Grant is free money for current or former foster youth to help pay for college or career or technical training that you don't have to pay back. You may also be able to use your grant to pay for child care, transportation and rent while you're in school. The Chafee Grant is federally and state funded and each year is subject to availability of funds. To learn more, click here or visit www.chafee.csac.ca.gov
Gradient right  
    Phone: (510) 723-6600 | Last updated on 6/3/2019