Left gradient
Students learning
announcements ANNOUNCEMENTS


    Dream Act (AB131) at Chabot College  

    Under current law, out-of-state and undocumented students may pay CA resident tuition rates if they qualify under AB540*  (see definition below).  Effective January 1, 2013, AB 131 makes this limited pool of students eligible to apply for the CA Board of Governor's (BOG) Fee Waiver, entitlement Cal Grants, Chafee and other state aid.

    There is a lot of information out there, and some of it is quite confusing. 

    Please start by identifying your legal status or citizenship, then determine which application, if any, you should complete for financial aid consideration. 

    Students should file either the FAFSA or the Dream Act Application, not both!

    Resources, Information and More! 

    CSAC - http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp

    Read and explore this entire page so you are most familiar w/ the Dream Act, how to apply, etc. 

    Dream App - https://dream.csac.ca.gov/ -

    This application is to be used ONLY by undocumented students, who qualify as AB540*. 


    If you are a U.S. citizen, or are a documented Permanent Resident, and have a "green card" or Alien Registration number, do NOT do the Dream App, but rather complete the FAFSA (link) to be considered for both state and federal financial aid. 

    GPA Verification form - www.csac.ca.gov/pubs/forms/grnt_frm/gpa_form_non_ssn.pdf

    to be used ONLY by students who do not have a valid Social Security Number 

    Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC) www.e4fc.org/resources/californiadreamact.html

    Founded in 2006, Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC) empowers undocumented young people to pursue their dreams of college, career, and citizenship in the United States. Per their website, they address the holistic needs of undocumented young people through direct support, leadership and career development, community outreach and education, creative expression, and advocacy. Their programming is designed by and for undocumented young people with support from committed allies.

    ICanAffordCollege.com http://www.icanaffordcollege.com/en-us/financialaidinfo/dreamact.aspx

    ICanAffordCollege.com is a comprehensive outreach site brought to you by the California Community Colleges, providing wide range of financial aid information for wide variety of students.  Includes zip code locator to find nearest financial aid offices, and upcoming workshop or application assistance. 


    *AB540- What is it?  Who qualifies for AB540?  Who qualifies for AB131?

    • Assembly Bill (AB) 540 was passed in 2001 to allow non-resident students in California to pay the lower resident tuition and fees to California's public colleges and universities.
    • In October 2011, AB131 was signed into law and allows students eligible for AB540 to also apply for state financial aid like the University of California Grants, State University Grants and Board of Governor's fee waivers for the 2012-13 school year and later Cal Grants for the 2013-14 school year.

    • To qualify for California financial aid through AB131, non-resident students, including undocumented students, must qualify as AB540 (determined by college Admissions & Records Office :

    • Have attended a California high school for 3 or more full academic years between grades 9 through 12. They do not need to be consecutive years
    • Have or will graduate from a California high school, attained a GED, or received a passing mark on the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE)
    • Register or be currently enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education in California
    • In the case of students without legal immigration status, fill out an affidavit stating that they have filed or will file an application to legalize their immigration status as soon as they are eligible to do so
    • Not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F,J,H,L,A,B,E, etc.)
    • Demonstrate financial need and meet all other program requirements

    Unfortunately, the following students are not eligible to file a California Dream Act Application or the FAFSA:

    Non-immigrants are, as defined by federal law, admitted to the United States temporarily and granted one of the following visas: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, TN, TD, V, TROV, and NATO.


    Apply Now!

    California Dream Act Application (Cal Grants, BOG Fee Waiver, Chafee Grant)

    Please Note: In order to be considered for a Cal Grant you will also be required to submit a GPA verification form. Please print out the form and submit it to your high school or college to verify your GPA.

    Please click on the following link for more information and instructions on how to fill out  the California Dream Act application.  California Student Aid Commission Dream Act Website

bookstore Bookstore Blackboard Blackboard
Access your
class website
Class Web
Search and register
for classes online
library Library student email Student
The Zone Student
Twitter facebook Vote
Gradient right  
    Phone: (510) 723-6600 | Last updated on 5/12/2015