INTERNATIONAL STUDENT PROGRAM
From the Airport
- Commercial shuttle service is available from the San Francisco (SFO) and
San Jose (SJC) airports. Fares are between $15 - 40 depending on your
- For shuttles from San Francisco, contact Super Shuttle at tel (650)
558-8500 or make a reservation online.
- For shuttles from San Jose, contact VIP Shuttle at tel (408) 577-1800 or
South and East Bay Shuttles: (408) 225-4444.
Modes of Transportation while living in California
- AC Transit bus system and BART (Bay
Area Rapid Transit)
- Purchase an Automobile
- Rent a Car - Most car rental companies require that you must be
over 25 years of age, have a valid driving license, and credit card. Below
are listed some car rental web sites
- Driver's License - International students may obtain a California Driving License even if you have
a valid international license. Prior to receiving a license the Department of
Motor Vehicles (DMV) will require:
- Your passport, I-20 and a valid I-94 card.
- A written test as well as driving test.
- After you have completed this process, a temporary license will be issued until
a confirmation on your status is received by U.S. Immigration. The actual driving license will be mailed to you as soon as this
confirmation is received, and this process may take as long as 9 months. For
more information, please visit the DMV Web site.
- Car Insurance -
If you purchase a car in California you must purchase insurance as well. The car
insurance costs approximately $1,000 per year but it also depends on your
driving records. Most insurance companies do require driving records for the
past three years so it is advisable that you bring your driving records. In
order for you to receive the cheapest insurance rate, you will need to "shop"
(call or search through internet for the cheapest rate). Below, we have listed
some web site addresses of car insurance companies: