SMALL GROUP RESEARCH AREA
The Library provides a unique area for groups working on research projects, available right behind the reference desk.
You will have a spot for your very own computer to perform your research together, a place to browse through books you may want to check out or reference books, and a librarian nearby ready and willing to help you with your research!
GROUP STUDY ROOMS
Chabot Library provides three study rooms that groups of two or more people can sign up for up to a maximum of two hours a day. A sign up book is available at the reference desk. You need to show up within five minutes after the time you signed up, otherwise that time is forfeited.
The Library now provides a strictly quiet study area in Room 121. There are a number of desk spaces that also include a number of outlets for laptops or pads. This area requires no sign up. Like all other areas in the Library, food or drink is not allowed.
Chabot College Library is home to a student computing lab in the Mezzanine (the second floor of the library). Currently enrolled Chabot and Las Positas students have access to 56 PCs and 2 Macs in addition to a scanner. All you need is your W ID to log in. All computers are equipped with Microsoft Office 2007. To get directions on printing in the library, visit theHow Do I Print Page.
- Internet chats, messengers, games, and usenet are prohibited.
- Changing any setting on any machine is prohibited.
- Food and drink are not allowed.
- Downloading any software is prohibited, whether it be from your disk or from the Web.
- Printing is ten cents per page.
- Any conversations in this study area should be kept to a minimum.
- NO CELL PHONE USE ALLOWED No other ID other than a CURRENT Chabot/Las Positas College ID will be accepted.
- Computers are designated for academic use only.
- Lab assistants can not repair hardware/software issues.
The Chabot College Library is pleased to offer laptop computers and Apple MacBooks with wireless network connection, Apple Ipads, digital voice recorders, pocket projectors and digital cameras and camcorders for use on the Chabot Campus by currently enrolled students. Laptops are configured with the same functionality as the other networked Library computers in the Computer Lab. You may search the Internet, type your papers, create presentations and Excel charts. You will not be able to print from these laptops.
Currently enrolled students of Chabot College may borrow available equipment by presenting a Chabot College picture ID. We regret that we cannot lend equipment to administrators, faculty, staff, visitors, or members of the community.
Students will be asked to read and sign the Chabot College Library Loaner Equipment Policy the first time they check out equipment and each semester thereafter.
Students must sign a 4-hour Library Loaner Equipment Contract each time they check out a laptop. The student borrower is responsible for the proper use and safe return of the equipment and all peripheral devices. Student users must be able to use the installed applications. The Library staff cannot offer software and hardware support.
Loaner equipment may be used on the Chabot College Campus only.
Use of Laptop Computers:
- Students are responsible for the safe return of the equipment and associated peripherals to the Circulation or Audio-Visual Desk. If you do not return the equipment, your ability to borrow library materials is blocked immediately, fees will be assessed and a hold will be placed on your Chabot College records.
- Do not leave equipment unattended at any time. Unattended equipment found will be returned to the Circulation Desk by library staff and it will be noted in the student’s circulation record. If this occurs a second time - the student will lose equipment borrowing privileges for the semester.
- Students are responsible for the full replacement cost of the equipment, or any peripherals damaged or made inoperable in any way including loss, spilled food and/or drink while it is checked out to the student.
- All user files will be removed from the equipment’s hard disk after each use. Anything you save to the hard drive will be lost. The library is not responsible for deleted files. Save your files often to removable media (we recommend using a USB flash drive).
- Printing and Saving: Printing is not available on the laptop computers. You must save files to a USB drive, CD, DVD, or email them to yourself. You may then open the file to print on one of the student-access desktop computers.
- Audio files must be played only when using headphones.
- Network Connection: The laptops have access to the Internet, Library resources, and email through a wireless network connection. They can be used anywhere that wireless is available on the Chabot Campus.
- Power: The laptops have battery power. However, an AC adapter will be provided in case the laptop battery is not fully charged. Electrical outlets are available throughout the Campus.
- Students are responsible for any violations of the Chabot College Library Computer Use Policy and the Chabot College Computer Center Policies and Guidelines and all other applicable Chabot policies, State or Federal laws or contractual agreements.
- Equipment is checked out at the Audio-Visual Desk. Failure to return the equipment or pay for damages or fines will result in a loss of borrowing privileges and a block on your records.
- Availability is on a first-come, first-served basis and there are no reservations.
- Eligible students must present a valid Chabot College photo W-ID at the Audio-Visual Desk, as well as read and sign the Library’s Loaner Equipment Policy the first time they check out equipment and each semester thereafter, and sign the 4-hour Loaner Equipment Contract about the student’s responsibilities and potential liabilities each time the laptop computer is checked out. Only one piece of equipment may be borrowed per person.
- Loan duration is limited to two (4) hours maximum.
- There will be one (1) renewal permitted, based on availability. (Availability is determined at the discretion of the staff member on duty.)
- Users must return the equipment to the Audio-Visual or Circulation Desk staff. Laptops should not be left on the unattended Circulation counter.
- Equipment must be returned no later than one-half (1/2) hour before closing regardless of time charged out. Late fees ($10) will be charged if laptops are returned later than one-half hour before closing.
- The student is responsible for the safe return of the equipment and associated peripherals to the Circulation or Audio-Visual Desk.
- The personnel on duty will check to see that the equipment and peripheral devices are returned intact. This will take approximately 10 minutes. It is highly recommended that students wait while the equipment is examined and they should plan for this delay.
Fines and fees:
- Late fees of $10 per hour are assessed for overdue equipment and/or peripherals.
- Fees for damaged laptop equipment will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. IT Department personnel will establish the cost of repair that will be passed on to the student at fault.
- A replacement cost of $1,600 will be charged to any student who fails to return a laptop or MacBook computer (damaged, lost, or stolen). Fees for damaged or lost components: $69 for batteries; $39 for AC Power adapter; $35.00 for Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter; $59 laptop carrying case; internal components based on cost of replacement.
- A replacement cost of $550.00 will be charged to any student who fails to return an Ipad. Fees for damaged or lost components: $30.00 for Apple Dock Connector to VGA Adapter and $30.00 for power cord.
- A replacement cost of $550.00 will be charged to any student who fails to return the GoPro Hero 3 Camera/Camcorder. Fees for damaged or lost components: $35.00 Scandisk Ultra 32GB MicroSD Class 10 Memory Card; $55.00 GoPro Lithium Ion Battery Pack; $45.00 Dynex 60” Tripod; pricing for other peripheral devices will be determined.
- A replacement cost of $1,000 will be charged to any student who fails to return the Sony-Handycam Digital Camcorder/Full HD/Touchscreen. Fees for damaged or lost components: $35.00 Scandisk Ultra 32GB MicroSD Class 10 Memory Card; $45.00 Dynex 60” Tripod.
- A replacement cost of $130.00 will be charged to any student who fails to return the Sony Digital Voice Recorder. Fees for damaged or lost components: $45.00 Olympus Bundle ME-15 Tie-Clip Microphone and headphone.
In the Mezzanine you will find the Chabot Library Audio/Visual Center where you can browse an extensive CD, DVD, VHS, and Audiocassettes. Equipment to view/listen to our audio/visual materials are also available in the Mezzanine. The Audio/Visual Center is also equipped with electrical outlets for laptops.
You can contact the Audio/Visual Center at (510) 723-6766.