CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) provides temporary financial assistance and employment-focused services to families with minor children who have income and assets below state limits for their family size.
The CalWORKs program at the community college is intended to help students meet their Welfare-To-Work requirements and prepare for permanent jobs in their chosen profession. We provide a variety of support services to help students successfully complete a certificate, AA or AS while also meeting their county CalWORKs requirements.
|Follow us at|
Chabot student must:
- Be enrolled or in the process of enrolling in classes at Chabot College
- Be a CalWORKs participant with their local County Welfare Department
- Have completed or be in the process of completing a Welfare-to-Work Referral for Educational Training
- Be a Cash Aid recipient from their local County Welfare Department
- Academic & Personal Counseling
- Submit county documents at Chabot CalWORKs Office
- Computer & calculator loan program
- County provides childcare, transportation, books & supplies
How to Apply
Complete these steps in the exact order:
- Schedule an appointment with Counselor Assistant, Emily Chan, to complete an Intake Form.
- Schedule an appointment with a CalWORKs counselor.
For this appointment, you must:
- Bring the following 4 documents for verification. This is required by your Alameda County Employment Counselor.
- Verification of Education or Training Program
- Student Educational Plan (SEP)*
- Child Care Needs Schedule
- Homework/Study Time Statement
- Provide a copy of all transcripts if you have previous college credits.
IMPORTANT: County Employment Counselors will not approve your child care, transportation and books & supplies money until these two intake appointments are completed.
Building 700, 2nd Floor
Room 767J, 767K
Elsa Saenz, MSW
CalWORKs Counselor & Coordinator
CalWORKs Professional Specialist
Josué A. Hernández
Student Assistants (Front Desk) 510-723-7694