Building 700 2nd floor above Admissions and Records, Room 767F (510) 723-6747
“Daraja” (Dah-rah’-jah) is a Swahili word meaning step, set of steps, or stepping stone.
The Daraja Program is here to help you succeed one step at a time. We are a learning community promoting transfer and increasing academic and personal success. Chabot students’ needs are addressed through academic support services and a curriculum focused on African-American literature, history and issues facing the African-American community.
Daraja students persist longer in college with better grades and transfer at a higher rate to four-year colleges and universities. Other benefits include:
- Fostering high self-confidence and pride in one’s cultural heritage.
- Developing critical thinking, reading, and writing skills that are needed for college and future career success.
- Researching occupational interest through various sources.
- Access to counselors, college workshops, guest speakers and college tours.
Who is this for
Daraja is for Chabot students who are:
- serious about getting a good education
- willing to work hard
- want to study the topics Daraja covers
- You are a Chabot student enrolled or in the process of enrolling in classes at Chabot College.
How does the Daraja Program Work?
Daraja is a 3-semester program. Students are expected to enroll in all Daraja courses offered for each semester. Additionally, students may enroll in others from consulting with their Daraja counselor.
Daraja offers an accelerated pathway to Statistics, which is a required course for most transfer majors. We also support students who choose STEM(Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) majors.
We have required tutoring for all of our academic courses. We strongly encourage students make use of the STEM Lab, WRAC Center and the Communications Lab.
|Daraja Required Courses by Semester|
What do Daraja Graduates say about the program
- “It helped me organize my life and manage my time.”
- “I was scared to death about college, but Daraja made me confident I could make it.”
- “My grades went up and I transferred within two years.”
- “It helped me excel in college, most especially in writing essays, which I used to dread.”
- “In class, it was like being in a family. I have made friends who are like brothers and sisters.”
- “The occupational information I received was superb! I now know what it takes to become a physician.”
Apply to Daraja
- Complete online admissions application at www.chabotcollege.edu. Allow 24-48 hours for application to process.
- Complete online orientation
- Take English and Math Assessment at Room 767F, Building 700. Bring your “W” number and a picture ID to take test. No appointment is needed.
For office hours, call (510) 723-6722 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply for Financial Aid at fafsa.gov
- Complete Daraja application and submit or mail to Daraja office at:
25555 Hesperian Blvd
Bldg 700 Office 767F
Hayward, CA 94545
- Attend the Daraja Orientation.
Always provide your name, email and phone and the best method of contact.
Contact Daraja by email email@example.com or call Chilopie Millington at 510-723-7011.