Applying to the University

Applying to transfer to a university is often more than just completing a form. It is a package of materials that you submit to support your candidacy for their program. The application cycle can take as short as two weeks or as long as one year. It is a process that may require the reporting of your academic history, admissions essay, portfolio or supplemental application to specific programs and departments. In addition, you are likely finding yourself applying for financial aid, scholarships, on-campus housing, etc.. 

Reference below for some resources to support your application to CSU, UC, Private/Out-of-State institutions such as important dates, application workshops, application assistance, and library of resource guides, tutorials, GE Certification, and the FALL Transfer Checklist or SPRING Transfer Checklist  to you through the transfer application cycle.

California State University (CSU)

Priority Application Filing Period:

  • Fall 2024 (August/September 2024 Start Date): October 1, 2023 - November 30, 2023
  • Spring 2024 (January 2024 Start Date for semester system CSU campuses or April 2024 for quarter system CSU campuses): August 1, 2023 - August 31, 2023

CSU Application Resources and Support:

University of California (UC)

Application Filing Period:

  • Fall 2024 UC TAG: September 1, 2023 - September 30, 2023
  • Fall 2024 Transfer Admission: October 1, 2023 - November 30, 2023
  • Winter/Spring 2024 UC TAG: May 1, 2023 - May 31, 2023
  • Winter/Spring 2024 Transfer Admission: July 1, 2023 - July 31, 2023

UC Application Resources and Support:

Private/Out-of-State Institutions

Private/Out-of-State Application Resources and Support:

General Education (CSU GE or IGETC) Certification

What is GE Certification?

GE Certification is a process by which Chabot College identifies courses you have completed that meet the various areas on the GE pattern and sends this certification to the CSU or UC campus you will attend. When you transfer to the university with the GE Certification, you will not be held to the university’s lower-division general education requirements. Instead, you will be held to any missing areas on the pattern and any remaining university upper-division general education requirements.

A few notes for stuents following the IGETC pattern and transferring to UC:

  • For IGETC pattern, you can only have up to 2 courses missing on the pattern to seek a partial IGETC certification for UC transfer
  • For IGETC Area 6 Language Other Than English:
    • Many students meet this area via two years of the same foreign language at a U.S. high school classes. If so, request your high school transcripts be sent to Chabot College Admissions & Records.
    • Some students attended school through the 9th grade outside of the United States, and may have already met this area. Inquire with Transfer Center Counselor or your counselor.
    • Some students may need to take a proficiency exam to meet this area of IGETC. Inquire with Transfer Center Counselor or your counselor.

Checking Your Progress on the GE Pattern Before Requesting GE Certification

You can check on the progress of completing a GE pattern by using the What If feature in DegreeWorks (View Tutorials to learn how to use DegreeWorks) for:

  • Transfer GE Pattern - CSU GE Breadth
  • Transfer GE Pattern - IGETC for CSU
  • Transfer GE Pattern - IGETC for UC

If you see missing areas when viewing DegreeWorks, it is possible that your non-Chabot transcripts, AP scores, and/or high school transcripts are on file but hadn't been formally posted in DegreeWorks. 

Verify Transcripts and Scores on with Chabot Admissions and Records

You can check through your Class-Web account to verify what and when transcripts from other colleges, high school(s), and AP scores have been received.

  • Log in to Class Web
  • Click “Student Services” tab
  • Click “Student Records” link
  • Click “Check if High School/College Transcripts Received” link.
  • If Chabot Admissions and Records has received the transcripts/scores, there will be a name and date in which we received it listed.

When you DegreeWorks shows you are missing something on a GE pattern, Chabot Admissions and Records will look to see if your high school or college transcript(s) and/or AP scores are on file in order to mark it complete and issue the GE Certification.

GE Certification is DIFFERENT from the Certificate of Achievement in IGETC/CSU GE Breadth

The Certificate of Achievement in IGETC or CSU GE Breadth is a certificate conferred by Chabot College along with any other degrees and certificates the college offers and grants. GE Certification is a worksheet the university needs to receive from the community college in order to hold students to the correct GE pattern after transferring to that institution.

To earn the Certificate of Achievement, students complete the Request for Degree or Certificate Form. This along with any other Chabot degress or certificates you earn are posted onto your transcript. Request degrees and certificate early in the semester you complete the last class(es) for the program.

To request GE Certification, students complete the General Education (CSU or IGETC) Certification Request Form. Request GE Certification after you have said yes and paid any intent to enroll fees to the university to where you plan on attending. This would typically be a few weeks after you have finished up your education at Chabot College. 

Requesting GE Certification

Students who are following either the IGETC or CSU GE pattern should apply for GE Certification with the Admissions and Records office the semester prior to transfer (your last semester at Chabot). Chabot College sends one certification to one university so make sure this is the university you will transfer to before making your CSU GE or IGETC Certification request.

As appropriate, please make sure official transcripts (such as those from other colleges or your high school) and/or AP scores are on file with the Admissions & Records Office if those courses and scores are being used to fulfill GE.

Please also inquire with your university the email address to where the GE Certification may be sent and enter this into the GE Certification Request form so Admissions & Records know where to send this certification.

Search for the form titled General Education Certification Request on the Chabot College Admissions & Records Forms webpage to request your GE certification.

Questions? Contact Transfer Counselor Ms. Frances Fon at