English Language Proficiency

English Language Proficiency

Students must speak, read, write and understand academic English to successfully completed college work in the United States. All applicants whose native language is not English and do not qualify for a waiver are required to submit proof of English language proficiency before an admissions decision can be made.

Chabot College will accept the following as proof of English language proficiency:

Exam scores are valid for two years after the test date. Official scores should be sent directly to the College by the respective testing agency.

English Language Proficiency Exam Waiver 

No English Language Proficiency Test is required for admission for students in the following conditions:

  • Completed at least 3 years of education at the secondary level (high school) or higher taught in English in the following countries where English is the native language: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec province), Cayman Islands, Dominica, England, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Micronesia, Montserrat, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Saint Helena, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Scotland, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Solomon Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United States of America, Wales, and Zambia, or
  • Completed at least 3 years of education at the secondary level (high school) or higher in an institution where English was the principal language. An official letter must be submitted from the institution stating that the "MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IS ENGLISH", or
  • Students who have successfully completed the equivalent of the Chabot College course English 102 (Accelerated College prepatory level Reading Reasoning and Writing) or course English 1 (Transferrable, College level Critical Reading and Composition), with a grade of "C" or better, at another accredited U.S. community college or university. Students must submit an official transcript and relevant course description(s), or
  • The Chabot College International Student Program has agreements in place with some English programs in the U.S., whereby a student's completion of a certain level of English study in that program qualifies the students for an "exam waiver". Such agreements include:
    • ELS 
      • Chabot College recognizes successful completion of ELS Level 109
    • Stafford House
      • Chabot College recognizes successful completion of Level 5

English as a Second Language (ESL)

Chabot College DOES NOT have an Intensive English Language Program. We do NOT issue I-20 forms to students requiring ESL(English as a Second Language) first:. Chabot College does NOT offer beginning or survival ESL courses.


Note: If you are a U.S. permanent resident (green card holder) a U.S. citizen, or if you are currently in the United States in another visa category such as J, H or other, you should follow the instruction on the ESL program website. You are not considered an International Student and should not apply through the International Student Program Office.


Interested in a Intensive English Language Program?

You may obtain an I-20 form from a Language School in the United States. You must contact the Language schools to obtain detailed information about their admission requirements. The starting dates of the Language schools are varied. They usually begin their session every other week or every other month. Please contact them for specific dates.

Upon submission of their institutional TOEFL results verifying the minimum score of 500 PBT, you may transfer to Chabot College. You must receive an I-20 form and transfer in before taking classes at Chabot College. You may be required to take more English instruction when you transfer to Chabot College. The English as a Second Language (ESL) program at Chabot College is not as intensive as a program at a Language School. Please note that Chabot College can not issue an I-20 form to students with a major of "English as a Second Language Program". The ESL courses are available to International Students in addition to their academic program.

International students can obtain English competency by enrolling in one of the following:

ESL schools TOEFL/IELTS alternative
ALP (American Language Program at California State University East Bay) in Hayward

Institutional TOEFL of 500 or more

EF (Education First) International Language Schools:

Institutional TOEFL of 500 or more

ELS Language Centers

Completion of Level 109 or higher


  • Berkeley
  • San Francisco

Institutional TOEFL of 500 or more

Language Studies International:

Institutional TOEFL of 500 or more

Stafford House: 

Completion of Level 5