The Zone Student Portal is unavailable. However, you can still access Class-Web and Zonemail
Employee Email Issue: Currently, Outlook is experiencing difficulties accessing email. Please read options and support.

COVID-19 Updates and FAQ

COVID-19 Updates and FAQ for F-1 and M-1 Students

The International Student Program (ISP) at Chabot College is deeply concerned about the current coronavirus outbreak and sincerely hope that you, your families, and friends are healthy and safe.  The health, safety, and well-being of our International students, staff, faculty and broader Chabot College community are our priority.  We continue to monitor the rapidly changing situation.  The best way to receive updated information is to check this website frequently as we will post updates here as more information becomes available.

We encourage you to review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below about academic concerns, enrollment, maintaining your lawful status, travel and campus resources.   More district wide information is available on the COVID-19 Updates section on our Chabot College homepage at: 

Guidance for F-1 and M-1 students is available on the ICE Guidance page at:  and then search under  “Non Immigrant Students and SEVP Certified Schools” for Guidance Documents and FAQs.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for International Students



Q1.  Is Chabot College closed?
In response to the Shelter in Place (SIP) order  our campus is currently closed to the public. Chabot College continues to serve students remotely.  We have transitioned our instruction to a mostly online format for the Spring 2021 semester, and we resume in person services when it is safe to do so.

Q2.  How will classes be offered in the Spring 2021 semester?
Keeping in mind the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff, and based upon additional review and recommendations by our campus leadership, Chabot College will move forward with Spring 2021 course offerings to continue to be predominently online with the exception of limited essential sector or hard to convert to online classes and operations. 

To plan accordingly, you are encouraged to read the "Section Text" found on the online class schedule within CLASS-Web. It is the last column on the right.  See instructions below.

Access your class information:

  1. Go to CLASS-Web
  2. Select Term  "Spring 2021"
  3. Search "Subject" and "Campus" to find your class
  4. One you have found your class, please read the notes found under "Section Text"

Q3.  How will classes be offered in the Summer 2021 term?
Chabot College will continue to offer predominently online classes in the Summer 2021.  Remember that for continuing international students, summer is concerned an annual vacation and students are NOT required to take any classes and do not have a minimum enrollment of units requirement.  Chabot College has decided to separate the registration for the Summer and Fall terms.  Registration for the Summer 2021 semester will begin on April 20, 2021 according to one's priority registration number.

Q4.  How will classes be offered in the Fall 2021 semester?
Chabot is optimistic that we will be able to offer more in person classes in the Fall 2021 semester and will offer the most possible in person classes as is safe to do.  To better help us plan, we have decidided to separate the Summer and Fall term registration dates.  Registration for the Fall term typically begins in mid April, but will pushed back.  Registration will begin on May 17, 2021 according to one's priority registration number.

Q5.  How will online classes be taught in the Spring 2021 semester?
Many of our online classes are a mixture of virtual content and instruction that happens via ConferZoom (Zoom), an online meeting platform available in Canvas.  Online courses will be offered either through synchronous or asynchronous instruction.  Please read the following for more information on these terms.

  • Synchronous Instruction:Some instructors are choosing to meet live online as a full class at the time the course was originally scheduled. Or, they may choose to meet online one of the days the course was scheduled and will have the remainder of the work for you to do online during your own time (see asynchronous description below).  The days and times the class will meet live online will be listed in the schedule." Read the "Section Text" for further explanation.

  • Asynchronous Instruction:Many virtual courses will not require students to attend live sessions. Students have the flexibility to move through the weekly course content by the established deadlines in the syllabus. These sections will not have times and days listed.

Q6.  What is the grading policy for the Spring 2021 semester?
Chabot College announced on February 26, 2021 that following Statewide guidance, we will be exercising grading flexibilty policy for the Spring 2021 semester.  This means the following:

  • Students may elect to be evaluated in a course on a letter grade or on a pass/no pass (P/NP) basis through the last day of the Spring 2021 semester finals, Friday, May 28, 2021.
  • Students should contact Sadie Ashraf or another College Counselor to talk though best options based on their educational goals.  Not all grading options are for everyone.
  • Instructors may convert low grades D,F, NP to COVID-19 Extraordinary Withdrawls in consulation with students to avoid adverse impact.

Q7. What are the Withdrawl Policies for the Spring 2021 semester?
Students may request a COVID-19 Withdrawl at any point in the Spring 2021 term by filling out the form by the same time in CLASS-Web.  It is possible for instructors to request a COVID-19  Withdrawl non-grade option on behalf of a student when that student has stopped attending and/or communicating and the cause is reasonably attributed to barries related to the pandemic.  Unlike previous semester's COVID-19 Extraordinary Withdrawals, there are no refunds for classes that are dropped.  We will continue with our normal published Refund Policy.

Q8. I have an in person class in the Spring.  Will it be safe to come to campus?
A few courses will still be taught face to face or hybrid (having a mixture of online and a component that will be taught on our campus).  These courses will follow physical distancing and Alameda Public Health and Safety Guidelines.  Please read the section notes for these classes carefully for instructions.  Additional important safety guidelines will be sent before instruction begins.

Q9.  Can Chabot College help with my technology needs to be successful in online courses?
Yes, please visit our Covid-19 Updates Resources page at: and then click on “Internet Access”  for  more information.  If you have any additional concerns about online instruction or technology limitations, please notify your instructors. Instructor contact information may be found on Chabot College's Faculty & Staff Directory.

Q10Can I complete online coursework from my home country?
Yes. You can either begin or continue your coursework at Chabot online from your home country.  If you are a Continuing student, your SEVIS record will remain in Active status if you maintain full-time enrollment at Chabot College online from your home country. However, you must return to the U.S. to resume face-to-face studies as soon as the online instruction period is concluded. Please note that some online materials may NOT be accessible from countries with internet firewalls. Again, we urge you to contact your instructors with concerns about online instruction from your home country, including technology limitations or firewall barriers.

Q11. How can I meet with a Counselor for academic questions?
Chabot College has a Counselor with dedicated hours just for International students.  Ms. Sadie Ashraf is available to exclusively meet International students 3 hours a week at the following time in the Spring 2021 semester:

  • Mondays 12 - 1 pm
  • Thursdays 1 – 3 pm

To schedule an appointment with Ms. Ashraf, please e-mail her directed at  Please be sure to include your name, your Student ID#, and that you are an International student in the subject line.

Should you need assistance outside of these times, you can connect with any Counselor utilizing Cranium Café’s chat/video/audio, or by phone.  When using Cranium Café, please use Chrome or Firefox for best connection.   Visit our Counseling Services page for instructions on how to contact a Counselor.

Q12. How can I get help with Confer Zoom (Zoom)?
Many instructors will be asking students to utilize Canvas and participate in Confer Zoom (Zoom) calls to continue instruction.  Confer Zoom is a tool within Canvas that allows instructors and students communicate with each other in real time.  Students can just click the Confer Zoom link at the appointed time to access this web conferencing software.  Student do NOT need to register for a Confer Zoom (Zoom) account just to participate in a session set up by an instructor.

Q13.  How do I Log In to Canvas?
Canvas is used for online classes.  Your username is the same as your Student ID W#.  Your password for Canvas is different from your password for CLASS-Web.  Your Canvas password is the first two letters of your given name, followed by the first two letters of your family name, followed by the last four digits of your Student ID#.  For examply, Mickey Mouse with a W#10890210 would log in as mimo0210.

You can log into Canvas with either a computer or from a mobile devise using the Canvas app.  The app for Canvas (Canvas Student) is free and works on iOS and Android devices.  Download the app from the App Store or Google Play.  To log in to Canvas, follow the instructions available here:   Please see our Online Learning website at: for more information.

If you need additional help in, please submit a student report request to our Online Learning Support  at:

Q14. What is Zonemail and how can I get help with my account?
Zonemail is your Chabot College email account.  It’s a Gmail account.  You can find your account in CLASS-Web by clicking on “What is my email address?” link on the Main Menu.  Your email password is the same as your CLASS-Web PIN.  For assistance:

Call (925) 424-1710 or send email to
Call between 7 am - 5 pm
Monday – Friday

Visit our Zonemail Instruction and Login website for more information.

A video on how to access your Zonemail is available here:

 A video of 5 Reasons You Should Use Zonemail is available here:

Q15.  How can I scan and send documents?
The International Student Program and Admissions and Records office are providing services online while the campus is closed due to Covid-19.  To Email the Admissions and Records office, please use from your secure ZoneMail email. They will be responding to emails throughout the day.  Submit any documents via your ZoneMail account (PDF preferred). 

When emailing, please send a detailed but brief message including your first and last name and W number.  They will respond to you as quickly as they are able.  Your patience is appreciated while we navigate this unexpected disruption to our services.  You can scan documents using a scanner or even your mobile phone.  Please see the following videos for more information on scanning documents using your phone.

 You may also use the Cam Scanner app available here:


F-1 and M-1 Nonimmigrant Visa Status

Q16. Can I take more than 1 class or more than 3 units online with my F-1 status in the Spring 2021 semester?
Yes.  During the COVID-19 outbreak, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is allowing schools to adjust their teaching methods in order to curtail further spread of the virus.   Continuing F-1 International Students are permitted to complete all course requirements online for the duration of this public health emergency.  More updates and FAQs from SEVP can be found on their COVID-19 website at

Q17.  I am a new student from outside the U.S.A.  Can I still enroll at Chabot for the Spring 2021 semester?
Yes, however you will need to take at least one in person or hybrid class as  SEVP will not allow new F-1 students to the U.S. with I-20 Forms for "Initial Attendance" to study fully online.  

Q18. Can I drop or withdraw from a class if the online format is too difficult?
A grade of "Withdrawl" is not considered a part of your full time enrollment requirements.  Dropping below a full time course load of 12 units without prior authorization will result in termination of your SEVIS record and F-1 status.  Please contact the ISP office to ask if you are eligible for a Reduced Course Load (RCL).  Remember that an Authorized RCL must be completed BEFORE dropping below 12 units.  Please see our RCL Form here:  If you are not eligible for a RCL, and you are concerned about failing the course, consider changing the grading option to Pass/No Pass (P/NP).  You are elgible to change the grading option of any class in the Spring 2021 until the last day of the Spring 2021 final exams which is Friday, May 28, 2021.  

Q19.  I left the U.S. during the Summer Break.  Is there anything I need to do to prepare for my return to the U.S.A for the Fall 2020 semester?
Hopefully, you have contacted the ISP and completed a Travel Endorsement Request Form and have your I-20 signed by Sean within the past 1 year of the date of your planned return to the U.S.  If not, please contact Sean immediately to request a travel endorsement signature.  

To ensure your safety as well as those in our community, Chabot College requests that you enter a monitored self-quarantine for 14 days upon your return to the U.S.  Please take this into consideration when making your return plans, especially if you have any required in-person classes.  We ask that you do not leave your home for 14 days except to get medical care and please do not physically enter the Chabot Campus during this time. Chabot College encourages students returning to the U.S. to maintain good hygiene practices, self-monitor for symptoms and check their temperature twice a day throughout the 14 day period. This policy is consistent with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention’s recommendation. 

Q20.  If I want to return home, can I continue my studies in my online classes?  How would this affect my F-1 Status?
If you wish to depart the U.S. and remain in your country for the Fall 2020 semester, you may do so.  If you wish to maintain your F-1 or M-1 visa status, you can do so by enrolling in a full time course load (minimum 12 units) according to the current SEVP Fall 2020 guidance on July 15, 2020  Due to COVID-19, you are allowed to be outside the U.S. for even more than 5 months and still keep your status.  Please let me know if you do so by first completing our Travel Endorsement Request Form to facilitate your return to the U.S.  Be sure to drop any in person or hybrid classes that you are enrolled in since you would not be returning. 

Q21.  I will continue my studies at Chabot  in the Fall 2020 semester but will remain in my home country.  Can I return to Chabot in person for the Spring 2021 to continue my studies?
If you wish to return to the U.S. to continue your studies at Chabot for the Spring 2021 semester, you may do so.  You won’t need to submit an entire new application.  If you have enrolled in a full-time course load for the Fall 2020 semester, then you have maintained your lawful status and you can re-enter the U.S. at any time.  You will only need a valid passport, a valid F-1 or M-1 student visa, and a valid I-20 that includes a signature from me as a Designated School Official (DSO) within the past one year.

Q22.  I am returning home and will NOT be taking a full-time course load in the Fall 2020 semester.  Can I return to Chabot for a future term to resume my studies?
Yes.  Please first notify me of your plans for the Fall 2020 by completing our Termination/ Future Plans Form.  I will then terminate your SEVIS record for an “Authorized Early Withdrawal”.  You will then have 15 days to depart from the U.S.A.  As a reminder, you are allowed to maintain your status if you are outside the U.S. less than 5 months.  If you wish to return to resume your studies, you may re-enter the U.S. within 30 days of your next session start date.  Our Spring 2021 semester begins on January 19, 2021, so you could re-enter the U.S. up to 30 days before than or on December 20, 2020.  If this date is less than 5 months from the date your termination in SEVIS, then you can re-enter using the same I-20, and maintain your current lawful status.  To do so, please notify Sean at least one month before you plan to return to the U.S. so that I can request SEVP to reactivate your SEVIS record.

If your requested term will require you to be outside the U.S. for more than 5 months, then you will need to apply for a new I-20 and seek re-entry with a new SEVIS number.  This will mean that you need to wait at least 1 academic year (two semesters) before you are eligible to apply for off campus employment benefits such as Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT)  or Severe Economic Hardship employment since one academic year of continual status is required to apply.To reapply to Chabot College from outside the U.S. as a Returning student, and request a new I-20 Form, please do the following:

  1. send  an email message saying that you wish to return and indicate which semester
  2. reapply on OpenCCC if you have not been enrolled in any classes at Chabot for the past yearp
  3. pay a new application fee of $100 if you have not been enrolled in any classes at Chabot for the past year
  4. send an updated bank statement showing at least $21,728 USD from your sponsor
  5. send an updated Tuberculosis (TB) test with a negative reading performed within the last year

After receiving your completed application, I will send you a new I-20 either by mail or electronically.  Since this I-20 would be marked for “initial attendance”, you would need to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again.  The current cost is $350. 


Financial Concerns

Q23.  I am experiencing financial difficulty because of COVID-19.  What resources are available to me?
Please contact Sean for available resources. 

We have extended our payment deadline for Spring 2021 classes to assist you.  International students will NOT be dropped on the Drop for Nonpayment Deadline on December 8, 2020. 

In addition, you may “opt out” and not be charged for your $10 Student Activity Fee and your $2 Student Representative Fee. 

The deadline to submit your forms to our Admissions and Records office is February 7, 2021 .

Q24.  I wish to make a partial payment or am unable to pay online because my payment exceeds my daily limit.  How can I pay for my tuition while the Admissions and Records office is closed?
You may pay by mail, or by sending an email to Ms. Isabel Yow at

 Please including the following in your email:

  • student name
  • W#
  • Amount paying
  • Authorizing statement.  Please write "I am authorizing Chabot College to charge $xxxx to my credit/debit card"
  • Credit/Debit card type: (for example Visa, MasterCard etc)
  • Credit/Debit card number
  • Expiration date
  • Contact information (email and phone) in case we need to follow up with you about the transaction

if you would prefer not to send your credit/debit card information through email, you may complete the above procedure with the following addition:

  • Instead of writing your Credit/Debit card number, write 'I prefer to give my credit/debit card information over the phone"  The last four digits of my credit/debit card are ...XXXX".  
  • After you send this, please call Ms. Isabel Yow at +1.510.723.6817 to give your complete credit/debit card information.  She is available most days Monday - Friday from approximately 9:00 am to 3:00 pm Pacific Standard Time (PST).  If you don't reach her, instead of leaving a message, please try calling again.

If you would prefer to send your check or money order by mail, please write your name and W# on the check along with the term (ie Spring 2021) in the Memo line and send it to:
Chabot College
Attn: Admissions and Records Office
25555 Hesperian Boulevard
Hayward, CA 94545


Campus Services

Q25.  Will the cafeteria be open in the Spring 2021 semester?
No.  The cafeteria will be closed.

Q26.  Will the Bookstore be open in the Spring 2021 semester?
The Bookstore on campus will be open for curbside pick up service only.

Q27.  Will the Student Health Center be open in the Spring 2021 semester?
The Student Health Center is currently closed; however they are working remotely.  Please call 1.510.723.7625 to speak to a medical provider.  Visit for more information.  You may also use any of the other Tubercio Vasquez Health Centers in the area.  This is covered with your Chabot College Student Health Plan until the Chabot College Student Health Center reopens.

Q28.  Do I need a Student Photo ID?  How do I get a Student Photo ID while the Online Services Center is closed?

Student Photo IDs are to be announced for the Spring 2021 semester.  Please check back for the dates of availability for the Spring semester.

We recommend that you get your Chabot College photo Student ID.  From August 17 – September 25, 2020, You can apply for a FREE Chabot College Photo ID by sending an email to: from your Zonemail account with the following:

  1. Copy of your foreign passport biographic page,
  2. Copy of your F-1 visa (if you don't have this, send your I-94 Form)
  3. Copy of your Fall 2020 Class Schedule from CLASS-Web, and
  4. A photo (to be used for the photo ID)
  5. Write your local address

Once all documents are received, a Chabot College Student Photo ID card will be produced and mailed to you within 2 – 3 weeks.


Updated March 4, 2021 9:30 AM PST