Dreamers New Student Checklist

New Student Checklist for DREAMers at Chabot College

Dream Center counselors are available to assist you with this process if you have questions or need help. Visit the Dream Center webpage for hours and additional info.

Step 1: Complete all general new student steps. Note: When completing the Chabot online application for admission, you will be asked to provide your social security number and citizenship status information.

  • If you received a Social Security Number (SSN) through Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA,) use it for this section.
  • If you have no SSN but have a valid Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) you may use that for this section.
  • If you do not have an ITIN or SSN, check the box at the bottom of the page labeled “Check this box if you do not have a Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number, or decline to provide one at this time.”
  • In the Citizenship/Military section of the application, choose “Other” from the drop-down menu and click the box labeled “No documents.” 
  • In accordance with our Privacy Protocol, Chabot College will not release any student information, including immigration status or related information in confidential student records, to any member of the public, federal agencies or other parties without prior written consent from the student, a court order or a lawfully issued subpoena, or as otherwise required by law.

Step 2: Determine whether you have been classified as a non-resident. If you have, you may receive an email or notice that your fees are much higher than expected. If this is the case, you may still be eligible to either (1) be reclassified as a CA resident or (2) have your non-resident tuition waived.

  1. To be reclassified as a CA resident, submit the Petition for Reclassification of Residency to the Office of Admissions and Records. This petition will require supporting documentation and should only be submitted if you meet all of the following criteria:
    • You currently hold an immigration status (like DACA) that is eligible to establish California residency and you have had (or applied for) that status at least 366 days prior to the start of the term.
    • You have been physically present in California with the intent to make California your home for other than a temporary purpose at least 366 days prior to the start of the term.

  2. If you don’t meet the above mentioned criteria, you may still be eligible to have your non-resident tuition waived. Submit the AB-540 affidavit along with your high school transcript to the Office of Admissions and Records if you meet the AB-540 criteria.

Step 3: If you meet the criteria for AB-540, apply for financial aid by submitting the CA Dream Act Application online.